News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 vrs 727

Started by Moparbob, November 23, 2008, 05:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparbob

Hello,

Are the guts the same in a 727 big block and a 727 small block? I know the bell housing is different but it looks like the rest is a go. Thanks!
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

John_Kunkel

Yes, year-for-year the internals can be swapped but they're not always "the same" due to differences in the performance level.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Moparbob

Quote from: John_Kunkel on November 23, 2008, 05:54:45 PM

Yes, year-for-year the internals can be swapped but they're not always "the same" due to differences in the performance level.

What do you mean by performance level? Are they built differently? And year by year,, I have a 71 727 BB and a rebuilt 73 SB. Wondering if I can swap the innards if the BB one is NG??
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Ghoste

For example, you could have a Hemi 727 with a 5 disc clutch pack, or 3 pinion planetary sets versus 4 pinion ones.  What Johnis saying is that you can take the guts from one and put them into the other units case but if you lay out the guts to both tranny's on a bench and start looking, you will spot a number of physical differences in the parts going into the two.  Does that make sense??

Moparbob

Thanks, didn't know there were differences. These are both early 70's trannys.
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Ghoste

There can even be differences in big block 727's from the same year.  It depends on the application.

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.