News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Header problem on a 73 Charger

Started by chargers_r_us, November 08, 2008, 09:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargers_r_us

I got a new exhaust system installed at Monroe. They put flowtech headers and flowmaster 40's on my 1973 Dodge Charger SE. Sounds nice! Problem is that the headers make the car too low, and I bottomed it out and cracked the head. Now I have white smoke coming out the exhaust. Can this head be repaired, or will I have to get new heads? The car has a 360 4V now that came out of a 1980 dodge van. The tranny is the 904. I was promised a set of built heads for this car, but it does not seem like that promise is going to work out, and I plan to begin to restore the car over the Winter! Thanks for any help or suggestions! I need to get heavier shocks for the front (with springs ?), but have not been able to find any. I do not think the torsion bars can be raised any more. Perhaps I need to get different style headers also! ...???

BROCK

Yes, cast iron heads can be repaired.  No, repairing cast iron heads is not recommended. 
360 heads are too common to consider the price of repair.

Your torsion bars seem to be in need of replacement - perhaps a bigger set?!

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

superduperbee

Does anyone make 'shorty' headers for cars? I've seen them for trucks and street rods.

NHCharger

There is an adjustment bolt for the torsion bars on the bottom of the K Frame. Just crank them up a bit to get the clearance you need, unless your looking for 3-4 inches. Might need to get your front ended realigned if you play with the ride height.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel