News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69' Charger Intake (modified):

Started by Captain D, October 27, 2008, 09:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

I wanted to see your opinions on the intake manifolds that I am interested in. I have a basic 383, 4 BBL motor with only a few added extras:

-Holly Double-Pump Carburetor,
-Super-Comp. Hooker Headers,
-H&N air-filter,

Would you guys recommend:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=EDB&MfrPartNumber=2186

or:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=EDB&MfrPartNumber=3010

Are these pretty similar or do you recommend something else? BTW - the second link is the one that I have on my Charger right now (although it's not in great shape), so that's why I figured that I would simply replace it. But, I thought that I would write to see if that model intake would actually diminish horsepower and what y'all may suggest to achieve maximum horsepower, etc...?

Thanks for your time for this newbie,
Aaron

terrible one

I think you'll find that the Performer RPM will be really good for your engine. I'm going to be running a mild 383 as well and the Edelbrock Performer RPM was generally what everyone recommended to me. Do keep in mind that your first link is to the Performer, which is basically just an aluminum version of the stock intake. You definitely don't want the single plane in the second link. The RPM is where you will see an advantage at, but you must also remember that it sits up higher than stock and will affect your kickdown, throttle, blah blah blah. but that comes with about any intake change I believe.

Captain D

Thank you for the response. If I may ask out of curiosity, why may I not want to go w/ the second option and what makes the first option the best?

Thanks again for this newbie,
Aaron

62 Max

I'd use the Performer and dump the double pumper.You don't need it. :Twocents:

Ghoste

I'd go with the Performer RPM but not the Performer.  I had a Performer on my 383 and it was nothing more than what terrible said, an aluminum version of the stock iron one.  Not money well spent if you're buying a new one.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on October 30, 2008, 03:53:48 AM
I'd go with the Performer RPM but not the Performer.  I had a Performer on my 383 and it was nothing more than what terrible said, an aluminum version of the stock iron one.  Not money well spent if you're buying a new one.

:iagree: the RPM manifold is a much better piece than the standard performer.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Captain D

Thank you guys for the responses!  :cheers: I'll look for this Performer RPM, but in the meantime, just so that I am on the right track:

- can anyone provide a link (or perhaps a part number) just so that I can get the same one that you're talking about? I'm very interested in this Performer RPM...

-and, does it come regular or with a polished finish (or both options)?

Thank you again!
Aaron

Captain D

Thanks! I'm assuming that the "Performer RPM" that we're talking about is part # 7186.

It comes standard and polished. The regular is $235.95, and the polished is about $400. To those w/ the polished...does it last and hold up for a long time or will it eventually fade over time? Any positive/negative experiences?

Is this the correct item # that everyone is recommending?

http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=53909

Thank you again for your time and suggestions,
Aaron

mikesbbody

Your welcome Aaron  :cheers: according to their website the polished intakes (and other parts) do not fade but hopefully someone here who has a polished edelbrock intake etc will chime in. Quite a price difference i must say between non polished and polished but to me, its worth it i like a little shine under the hood  :coolgleamA:
That part number appears to be correct 7186 for regular finish and 71861 for the polished finish. This is the intake i will be upgrading to on my 440.

firefighter3931

Yes that is the correct intake manifold. Use the Felpro #1214 intake gasket to block off the heat crossover....this will keep the carb and manifold running cooler. Conductive heat will cause fuel to boil and if using a polished manifold will affect the finish....the cooler you keep the manifold and carb, the better it will look and run.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Captain D

Thank you again for the clarification and info! :2thumbs:

I'm rather torn between the regular and the polished version. I suppose I'm a lil' weary of the polished not holding up (seeing how it's double the price of a basic #7186). But, as you mentioned, getting the correct gasket may help block the heat...

Ah, decisions, decisions, lol. But thank you again, y'all have been very helpful and I appreciate your time!
High regards,
Aaron

terrible one

Quote from: Captain D on November 01, 2008, 01:34:06 AM
Thank you again for the clarification and info! :2thumbs:

I'm rather torn between the regular and the polished version. I suppose I'm a lil' weary of the polished not holding up (seeing how it's double the price of a basic #7186). But, as you mentioned, getting the correct gasket may help block the heat...

Ah, decisions, decisions, lol. But thank you again, y'all have been very helpful and I appreciate your time!
High regards,
Aaron

For what it's worth, a guy that I used to work with put one of the Edelbrock polished intakes on his 80ish Camaro (I helped him put it on) . . . we did that ummm I guess almost 2 years ago and the polish is still just fine. He's a neat freak and will spend hours on the engine bay though, so the fact that it barely has a chance to collect grime might have something to do with it, but it looks just a shiny and new as the day we put it on. I have plenty of confidence in Edelbrock's polishing myself, I just can't justify the price difference.

Captain D

Yeah, lol, I can be kind of a neat freak as well when it comes to the Charger. I plan to take it in car shows and parades, etc. so, that's why I was thinking about going with the polished version. I could see myself cleaning the engine bay to get it good lookin' too. I drive the girlfriend nuts.

I'm glad to hear of those w/ the polished version and it holding up. I was actually going to post a question like this to hear experiences. If I may ask...how often does your friend take the car out? A friend of mine was actually discouraging me from purchasing the polished version because he says that in no time it will blacken and be a waste of money. But then again, he doesn't have first-hand experience with the polished.

Thanks again!
Aaron

terrible one

Quote from: Captain D on November 03, 2008, 03:51:44 PM
Yeah, lol, I can be kind of a neat freak as well when it comes to the Charger. I plan to take it in car shows and parades, etc. so, that's why I was thinking about going with the polished version. I could see myself cleaning the engine bay to get it good lookin' too. I drive the girlfriend nuts.

I'm glad to hear of those w/ the polished version and it holding up. I was actually going to post a question like this to hear experiences. If I may ask...how often does your friend take the car out? A friend of mine was actually discouraging me from purchasing the polished version because he says that in no time it will blacken and be a waste of money. But then again, he doesn't have first-hand experience with the polished.

Thanks again!
Aaron

Oh man the car is basically a daily driver. He will switch between it and his truck but I'd say it gets driven daily 65% of the year.

Captain D

Awesome, that's god to hear that the polished intake gets a lot of use, yet holds the polished well. I'll see if I can save up a lil' more and go for the polished Performer RPM perhaps. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions and concerns :cheers:.

High regards,
Aaron