News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to move 70 Charger with locked steering column...

Started by Blakcharger440, October 25, 2008, 07:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

I need to move a 70 charger I just brought into the garage. The problem is that the steering column is locked and I dont have a key.....I need to make several turns to get it into the garage!  :brickwall:

How can I get the steering column unlocked or get the wheels to turn???

Spike

Disassemble the steering column and take out the lock, pull the whole steering column out or pick the front end up with a floor jack and move it that way.

RD

pull out the door lock, take it to a locksmith, have him make a key.. voila.. you have a key to your column

OR

drop the centerlink from the steering box and turn the tires manually.. i ahve done this too.. it works.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

rusty lee

put a jack  under the k member and push it in the garage. thats how I move mine around.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Chad L. Magee

I have a set of those 4 wheel rollers just incase of a similar situation might happen with a project.  They do work pretty slick and are worth getting in my opinion.  They even sell them at Harbor Freight, but I would suspect the quality on those, something I would not want to compromise on when moving cars around.  The nice thing about having them is that it is easy to move a car that is missing the steering column without needing to constantly redirect the front wheels around....... 

You have to be careful with a jack, as they can slip off of the car when you push it too hard.  That can be particularly dangerous if you have the car jacked up too high or in an unstable area.  One of my friends almost lost his hand doing a brake job on his car when he tried to push the jack over just a little bit more (he was not using jackstands even when I told him to do so countless times before).......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

CornDogsCharger

I once bought a '71 Duster that did not have the keys with it.  It was a pain trying to load it up on a trailer because the front wheels were slightly turned and the steering wheel was locked.  Anyways... do like I did...it's an easy temporary fix.  Remove the steering wheel and turn signal mechanism assembly.  With that out of the way, you can unbolt and remove the ignition switch along with the steering wheel locking mechinism.  Slide your steering wheel back on and steer it all you want.  With the ignition switch out, now would be a good time to get a key made.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

ACUDANUT

Quote from: RD on October 25, 2008, 12:50:58 PM
pull out the door lock, take it to a locksmith, have him make a key.. voila.. you have a key to your column

OR

drop the centerlink from the steering box and turn the tires manually.. i ahve done this too.. it works.

***I agree with RD.

The70RT

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on October 25, 2008, 03:32:38 PM
I have a set of those 4 wheel rollers just incase of a similar situation might happen with a project.  They do work pretty slick and are worth getting in my opinion.  They even sell them at Harbor Freight, but I would suspect the quality on those, something I would not want to compromise on when moving cars around.  The nice thing about having them is that it is easy to move a car that is missing the steering column without needing to constantly redirect the front wheels around....... 

You have to be careful with a jack, as they can slip off of the car when you push it too hard.  That can be particularly dangerous if you have the car jacked up too high or in an unstable area.  One of my friends almost lost his hand doing a brake job on his car when he tried to push the jack over just a little bit more (he was not using jackstands even when I told him to do so countless times before).......

I got some of those Harbor Freight one's. They are solid with iron wheels. If they fail you car falls 2 inches....but how could they  :shruggy:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: The70RT on October 25, 2008, 09:38:16 PM
Quote from: Chad L. Magee on October 25, 2008, 03:32:38 PM

I got some of those Harbor Freight one's. They are solid with iron wheels. If they fail you car falls 2 inches....but how could they  :shruggy:

The mounts for the castor wheels could fail if the bolts were not put in properly or the bolts were allowed to rust too much (outside use).  That potentially would drop the castor wheel off of the unit when it is loaded with weight.  I prevented that from happening with mine when I put it together (used epoxy on the main unit in combination with the mounting bolts and then painted the mounting bolts with anti-rust primer).  I am thinking of buying another set that has larger castor wheels for more clearence incase I need to do some matience work underneath the cars before I move them around.....

Finn

I got my old ones from harbor freight. On two of them all the wheels snapped off and the other two each bent two wheels. This was with the car stripped. I think they would have done better if I didnt have to roll them over driveway concrete  :shruggy:.  Then I welded a dolly with big ol' casters and its rolls around like a dream lol.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Big Lebowski

Oh this brings back memories. I think I've done all of the above. Having 10 or so Chargers over 25 years reminds me of all of the fun. The jack under the K frame always worked for me.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

dpm68

Quote(he was not using jackstands even when I told him to do so countless times before).......
Some folks just gotta learn the hard way - I hope he's okay.

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: dpm68 on October 26, 2008, 10:36:15 PM
Quote(he was not using jackstands even when I told him to do so countless times before).......
Some folks just gotta learn the hard way - I hope he's okay.

Yep, he is ok, just very lucky.  He was changing the brakes on the front of his newer Lexus and pulled a bit too hard when removing a part.  The car fell down to the concrete floor on the front drivers disk (no wheel on), missing his hand and leg by about three inches.  He jacked it back up and finished the brake job, without checking for damage to the disk or other parts. :slap:  Later, he started complaining that it was squeaking and pulling a bit to the left, so he took it into a shop where it cost him some bucks to have the repair work done........ 

Blakcharger440

OR

Hey guys I forgot to mention that the car is on a rock driveway so I could not use a dolly....I should have mentioned that. I ended up disconnecting the steering column from the box and turned the wheels by hand since there is no engine or trans and it was easy to do. Thanks guys!

RD, thanks for the tip! I will pull the door lock and have a key made for it.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on October 27, 2008, 10:54:52 AM

OR

Hey guys I forgot to mention that the car is on a rock driveway so I could not use a dolly....I should have mentioned that. I ended up disconnecting the steering column from the box and turned the wheels by hand since there is no engine or trans and it was easy to do. Thanks guys!

RD, thanks for the tip! I will pull the door lock and have a key made for it.

:2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Belgium R/T -68

Where can I order a set of these 4 wheel rollers, premium quality ;)
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker