News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is this a good build for a 440?

Started by miller, October 16, 2008, 05:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller

A very experienced machinist is helping me with my rebuild of a 440. He has recommended he following things: hardend valve seals, machining the heads, 3 angle valve job, balancing the crank, and boring out the block.

He recommended a two different cams
COMP Cams 21-222-4
COMP Cams 21-223-4

Pistons: Speed Pro ZH143CP30

He also suggested we port the heads and zero deck the block.

I plan to run a 750 carb, headers, 3.23-3.55 gears, 727 transmission, and a different intake (edelbrock/holley)

A) Is this a good combo at all? B) Do you feel that porting the heads and zero decking the block will make much difference? C) How much power do you expect this to make?

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

firefighter3931

That looks like a reasonably good build. The idea behind the zero deck piston height is to increase compression. If it were mine, i would be spending the money on a set of closed chamber aluminum heads as opposed to rebuilding a set of 40 year old iron heads. By the time you pay for machining, porting, new guides, valves, springs, retainers etc....you will have more in them than a brand new aluminum head that flows better, weighs less and has a more efficient closed chamber.  :yesnod:

The xe268 Comp cam is descent but there are better choices out there....the Engle K56 would be my first choice with 3.23-3.55 gears and a stock converter.

Performer RPM intake manifold and a proform 750 carb would work nice as well. Headers with 2.5in dual exhaust would help....

This combo should make in the 430-440hp range and easily 500+ ftlbs of tire twisting torque.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

miller

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 17, 2008, 06:23:12 AM
That looks like a reasonably good build. The idea behind the zero deck piston height is to increase compression. If it were mine, i would be spending the money on a set of closed chamber aluminum heads as opposed to rebuilding a set of 40 year old iron heads. By the time you pay for machining, porting, new guides, valves, springs, retainers etc....you will have more in them than a brand new aluminum head that flows better, weighs less and has a more efficient closed chamber.  :yesnod:

The xe268 Comp cam is descent but there are better choices out there....the Engle K56 would be my first choice with 3.23-3.55 gears and a stock converter.

Performer RPM intake manifold and a proform 750 carb would work nice as well. Headers with 2.5in dual exhaust would help....

This combo should make in the 430-440hp range and easily 500+ ftlbs of tire twisting torque.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Would you happen to know what that cam would do in terms of power? Does it give it a couple more horses or does it make it more streetable?

Also we priced out the heads and it came to about 400 to do all the work and 150-200 to port the heads, at some point you have to say enough is enough, I'm draining a lot of funds for this and my origanal goal was 400, if I can make 430 to 440 I'll be very impressed. Thanks for everything, you really have helped me out a lot!

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

Steve P.

$200.00 to port heads is NOTHING... I think he may be talking about PORT MATCHING.. That's still cheap in most machine shops. Then add hardened seats and new seals, check guides and probably some guide work. Then you still have ancient springs and setting them up.

Do yourself an enormous favor and listen to Firefighter. He knows his do-doo....... 
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

I have to agree with Steve here....the prices quoted will not buy you much. Be wary of $200 port jobs  ;)

To properly rebuild a set of iron heads with new hardware (Valves/springs/retainers/locks/valveseals/guides + machinework & assembly) will cost close $800 at most reputable shops before portwork.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs