News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Picture From Wyckoff,NJ Cruise Night

Started by bordin34, September 17, 2008, 06:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

I went to a cruise night tonight with a poster to hopefully get some ideas on what is wrong with my car.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

WingCharger

Hemidoug

71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

rudyjrusa

hey - nice 73/74 charger - it looks like it is triple black - what size engine in car??  are you the original owner??

bordin34

It is triple black but originally white, then red, now black. It has a 400ci in it and I am definitely not the original owner.

Mahwah,NJ

CharcoalCharger

FLG

Bordin,

I can always take the trip, your not very far. Have you tried a tune up and a different carb yet?

bordin34

I have not tried a real tune up but it was in the shop for 2 months and the guy said he tried everything and that the cam was too big. I have not tried a different carb. The only time I had a carb to try, the ballast went out and we didn't realize it until after he left. PM me maybe we can arrange sometime for you to come FLG.
The car is running really bad. It stumbles, backfires, and stutters. It sometimes dies right off idle like when pulling away from a stop sign. It will randomly run good above 2500rpm and randomly run like the timing is way advanced sometimes.

Mahwah,NJ

Ghoste

Looks like a good well rounded cruise night and an A+ to you for innovation.  Did you get any help at the show?

bordin34

I got a lot of little things to check that could all lead to my problems. Almost every guy with a car there came over and offered advice.
This Chevy has a C4 Corvette under it

Mahwah,NJ

Hemidoug

Quote from: bordin34 on September 18, 2008, 05:02:41 PM
I have not tried a real tune up but it was in the shop for 2 months and the guy said he tried everything and that the cam was too big. I have not tried a different carb. The only time I had a carb to try, the ballast went out and we didn't realize it until after he left. PM me maybe we can arrange sometime for you to come FLG.
The car is running really bad. It stumbles, backfires, and stutters. It sometimes dies right off idle like when pulling away from a stop sign. It will randomly run good above 2500rpm and randomly run like the timing is way advanced sometimes.

I'd start off with a new carb....do you have a TQ now?
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Blown70

Thanks for the pics!!  I love the ORANGE AAR!!

Tom

71ChallengeHer

Looks like a nice cruise. Thanks for the pics. :2thumbs: Dan, Did you try any of the things the guys told you ar Carlisle ?

FLG

NP well figure out something. Ive got my 400 running just fine with the TQ. Would like to upgrade to a Holley because my throttle response is a little lacking, but she runs and idles great.

Do you hear a bigger cam? A car with a big cam will have a very distinct lopey idle as apposed to the stock cam in the 400 blocks.

BMOTOXSTAR

I bet that it needs a new dist/rotor and cap or the timing chain is worn out. :Twocents:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

bordin34

The dist is installed right and not 180* out. I have tried a new cap and rotor. The distributor is the original 30 year old un-rebuilt unit so the advance may be fudged up a bit. The car idled smooth and very un-lopey when it ran decent that is why i don't believe the mechanic. I have a Holley 670cfm Street Avenger on it which is a little big, the carb may be bad, I don't know if it is good or bad. Right now I believe that it may be bad but am unsure. To keep this organized try to post help and suggestions in this thread.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=48589.msg530545#msg530545
Thanks,
Dan

Mahwah,NJ

FLG

I'll shoot you a message when i know when im free. I just did the timing chain on mine not to long ago, not hard at all.