News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone know of an OEM speaker restorer besides Year One?

Started by WH23G3G, April 18, 2009, 11:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I had the speaker recondition service done on my 73 Charger from Year One a few years ago and it was like $45 and I see it is now $88. I'm wanting to get another dash speaker reconditioned for my 65 Valiant but don't know if it's worth $88 anymore. I just want to keep it original with the original AM radio. So is there anyone else doing speaker reconditioning I could try?

1969chargerrtse

The speaker is something you don't normally see, why not just pick up a cheap speaker and slap it in there?  Just curious as that's what I did on my 69.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

maxwellwedge

Just google speaker re-cone or speaker restore, rebuild in your area and see what comes up...There are several people that do this.

375instroke

There should be a place near you.  There is one about a mile from me that reconed a house speaker for me.  It was about $30 for the tweeter cone from Infinity, and he said it was so easy, he didn't charge any labor.  He does everything from old tube radios to guitar cabs.  You didn't enter a location in your profile, so no one can tell you what's available in your location.

Chatt69chgr

There is a guy who sells the correct size and impedence speaker for these older radios.  They usually take a 8-ohm voice coil speaker.  The speakers you find at radio shack are usually all 3.2-ohm.  They will work but pull too much current through the output transistor.  Most of the older speakers, leastways on the 69's, were 4X10 inch ovals.  I saw where one person mounted two small round speakers on a plate that attached where the old speaker attached.  If you ran two of those in series, it would be 6-7 ohms and would be close enough in impedence to the original.  But run them in series, not parallel.

I don't have the website address of the person that sells speakers but if you do some searches on this website you will find him.

Rolling_Thunder

I have run the dual round speakers with a modern radio - worked great.   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

WH23G3G

I'm in the Atlanta,GA area. I did a search of speaker recone, speaker recondition, speaker restoration and wasn't able to find anyone locally that looked like they would tackle a speaker recondition. None of them specified automotive. Most of the links sent their speakers off to other sources for restoration anyway. I'm in a suburb of Atlanta and there's not a lot of restoration services around except Year One. There's a few Mopar guys and even a Mopar club but it's mostly GM and Ford guys riding around here. Even if I could find another company that I could ship this speaker to that will cost me less than $88 that Year One wants I would do it. I just like to keep everything the way it should've been so I'm not wanting to add an aftermarket speaker. If anyone knows of any sources I could ship to and get it redone let me know.

maxwellwedge

375instroke

Is Smyrna, GA far?  Try this place: Northwest Speakers & Equipment  They have a 10% off coupon for speaker reconing on their web site. 
These may or may not be expensive.  Looks like they want around $50 for the size you want to repair.  Most people are trying to save some money on expensive speakers, not reconing a piece of junk like on our AM radios.  I'm thinking we should be able to find a speaker of the same size as the original for a cheap price, but if originality, or as close as we can get as possible, is a priority, you'll need to pay.
Atlanta Speaker Repair
Wizard Electronics
Camden Antique Radio Service
Blown Away Reconing & amp; Speaker repair
Atlanta Tube Amp

Nacho-RT74

I simply used a local regular speaker shop... they have all sizes to fit on cores.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Chatt69chgr

http://www.turnswitch.com/services.htm

I finally remembered who I got my speaker from.  A real nice person to deal with.  There is absolutely no reason to have your original speaker reconed.  If you are worried about originality, put your speaker in a zip lock bag and give it to the next owner and let him recone it.  The speakers from the above source are the correct 4X10 inch size and mtg arrangement and are the correct impedence.