News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 charger cluster and voltage limiter

Started by Tscott38, August 10, 2008, 08:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tscott38

I've got a 68 RT that I'm trying to put together after sitting in my garage for 12 years.  One of my problems is that 10 years ago I remember going thru a couple voltage limiters, and I just burned up another one today I think.  The last time as soon as I turned the key a puff of smoke came out - from researching posts here I think I have verified that it is not functioning now.  What could be causing this?  The circuit board is good - continuity appears ok - the prongs and all.  Could having it in upside down have done it?  I think I did this  - I didn't realize that one of the prongs was on a slight angle.  Could a loose connection somewhere have done it? 

Also, after putting all the wires back in I found a brown wire with a white tracer that was at the end of the harness (where the wiper switch plug is, 2 single brown wires that go to the washer pump, the ammeter wires, and another single brown that goes to the wiper switch) I was taped up with them and doesnt seem to go anywhere.  My wiring diagram really doesn't show a brown with a tracer - maybe its an extra that is unnecessary. Any ideas? 

Any comment would be greatly appreciated.  This board has been a wealth of information.  Many thanks to all.

histoy

I believe that the extra wire, brown with tracer, isn't used if you have 2 speed wipers.

resq302

Could be that you had a bad couple of voltage limiters.  We had the same problem recently with our chally.  I ended up converting the points style to a solid state internal guts that deliver a steady 5 volts versus the fluctuating average 5 volts.  The whole conversion cost me about $5 plus my time.  I think the step by step instructions I found were on Moparts.com.

Also..... welcome to the best site on the web! :wave:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

71_deputy

could be one of the gauages are grounding out- on the + 5 volt side- check the insulators under the gauages posts!

John Mac
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

bearbqd

Quote from: resq302 on August 10, 2008, 09:16:39 PM
Could be that you had a bad couple of voltage limiters.  We had the same problem recently with our chally.  I ended up converting the points style to a solid state internal guts that deliver a steady 5 volts versus the fluctuating average 5 volts.  The whole conversion cost me about $5 plus my time.  I think the step by step instructions I found were on Moparts.com.

Also..... welcome to the best site on the web! :wave:
Hey resq, do you have the link for this conversion? I would like to do the same thing. Thanks.
73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

resq302

I printed it out from Moparts.com and went by that.  I will have to try and locate the link again.  Let me see what I can do on my down time here at work tonight.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

resq302

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/elec/11.html

There ya go.  I did this for my dads 70 challenger convert.  Worked like a charm.  When the one in my charger goes, I will be doing the same thing.
Brian

bearbqd

73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress