News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bird advertised for 15K

Started by oldcarnut, September 03, 2008, 09:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

Saw this for sale a few weeks ago.  I thought it sounded bogus but emailed anyway several times and as expected didn't get a responce.  For some reason the picture looks familiar but I can't place it.  Has this add been around before.  I didn't see any previous discussions about it.  Anyone know the story if it was a hoax. Here's the add.
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/798332522.html

1970 PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRD, 440 NEEDS WORK - $15000

I am selling my 1970 superbird It was my sons car when he went away and it has been sitting in the shed for over 20 years and I just want it moved, I dont know if it runs, I havnt tryed to start it My husband barley can get out there to look at it, so Ill just sell it, I think it has the 440 in it, it says it on the motor, the interior has rat crap on it and the seats are a little chewed up, and the headliner is falling, but everything seemd to be ok, This would make a great project for a younger couple we are just to elderly to work on it, you can email me and Ill get back to you, Thanks,

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BB1

Yeah, and the Brooklyn Bridge is for sale too.  :lol:
Delete my profile

moparstuart

Quote from: BB1 on September 03, 2008, 09:56:49 AM
Yeah, and the Brooklyn Bridge is for sale too.  :lol:
really how much ? :shruggy:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

hotrod98

Around two years ago, I was given some info about a superbird in a nearby state that belonged to an elderly woman who's husband had passed away. The guy said that she had talked about selling it and he gave me her address. I didn't want to bother her so I sent her a letter stating that I was looking to purchase a superbird for my wife and that we weren't interested in buying it to resell. Seems like I mentioned that I was not looking for a cheap deal and that I was willing to pay market value. I don't remember the wording exactly.
I never heard back from her and now I don't remember where I placed the info to follow up.
There are going to be some real deals out there. It's just a matter of being at the right place at the right time.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

WingCharger

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 03, 2008, 03:31:53 PM
Around two years ago, I was given some info about a superbird in a nearby state that belonged to an elderly woman who's husband had passed away. The guy said that she had talked about selling it and he gave me her address. I didn't want to bother her so I sent her a letter stating that I was looking to purchase a superbird for my wife and that we weren't interested in buying it to resell. Seems like I mentioned that I was not looking for a cheap deal and that I was willing to pay market value. I don't remember the wording exactly.
I never heard back from her and now I don't remember where I placed the info to follow up.
There are going to be some real deals out there. It's just a matter of being at the right place at the right time.

Sounds classic! I wonder if any old ladies are driving a Hemi Four-Speed Daytona just a few miles a week? :scratchchin:

Old Moparz

Even if you truly believe it's a scam, how many of you would be totally pissed if it wasn't & someone on here posts pix one day saying "Hey! Look at the Superbird I just bought!"   :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

The70RT

Quote from: Old Moparz on September 03, 2008, 05:25:45 PM
Even if you truly believe it's a scam, how many of you would be totally pissed if it wasn't & someone on here posts pix one day saying "Hey! Look at the Superbird I just bought!"   :lol:

Yeah we had a few of them too...............some were still bogas.

WingCharger

Yea, I saw a Red 1971 HemiCuda Convertible Four-Speed running around my town. A 72 year old lady owns it. She is thinkning of converting it to manual because she has trouble with the stick. :D
It is only driven to Church, to errands, to bingo, and to races on Friday night against ricers. :icon_smile_big: She lives in Pasadena Township. Don't try to buy the car, everybody says there is nobody meaner.

moparstuart

Quote from: WingCharger on September 03, 2008, 07:16:57 PM
Yea, I saw a Red 1971 HemiCuda Convertible Four-Speed running around my town. A 72 year old lady owns it. She is thinkning of converting it to manual because she has trouble with the stick. :D
It is only driven to Church, to errands, to bingo, and to races on Friday night against ricers. :icon_smile_big: She lives in Pasadena Township. Don't try to buy the car, everybody says there is nobody meaner.
that would be a super stock not a hemi cuda

WingCharger

Quote from: moparstuart on September 03, 2008, 08:43:03 PM
Quote from: WingCharger on September 03, 2008, 07:16:57 PM
that would be a super stock not a hemi cuda

Whats to say it wasnt raced in Super Stock by her late husband? :icon_smile_big:

moparstuart

it was a mopar listen to the song kid , sitting in her garage was a brand new shiney red super stock dodge ( which would be a max wedge car.)

WingCharger

Quote from: moparstuart on September 03, 2008, 08:56:24 PM
it was a mopar listen to the song kid , sitting in her garage was a brand new shiney, super stock dodge ( which would be a max wedge car.)

I know. I have heard that song a hundred times. I just applied to the most expensive mopar to make a point.
I wouldnt mind finding a Max wedge sitting in a old ladies garage. Still one of my favorite cars.

1962 Dart, 440 Trim Package, 413 Max Wedge, Cobalt Blue, Music Master AM Radio, Blue Interior :drool5:

oldcarnut

I know I would if they had said they got the link from my post.  Well not at them but at myself.  I thought a lot about it before I did and most times don't mention things until it's known to be unobtainable. Been burned before.  I kept waiting for it to pop up by someone else and never saw it. Gave up after almost 3 or so weeks of emails with no replies. Realising there had to have been a ton of people seen it already, it would have had to be sold already or bogus.  I did bet that as soon as I did, within the day it would be flagged and whaddaya know, someone had to do it.  ::)  Well maybe the facts are out there somewhere.

The70RT

Quote from: oldcarnut on September 03, 2008, 11:46:05 PM
I know I would if they had said they got the link from my post.  Well not at them but at myself.  I thought a lot about it before I did and most times don't mention things until it's known to be unobtainable. Been burned before.  I kept waiting for it to pop up by someone else and never saw it. Gave up after almost 3 or so weeks of emails with no replies. Realising there had to have been a ton of people seen it already, it would have had to be sold already or bogus.  I did bet that as soon as I did, within the day it would be flagged and whaddaya know, someone had to do it.  ::)  Well maybe the facts are out there somewhere.

The only fact is you don't get a wing car for 15K

Old Moparz

Quote from: oldcarnut on September 03, 2008, 11:46:05 PM

There's a term for posting before checking & missing out on a deal, it's called "Negative Internet Purchase Training".   :lol:

I'm 99% positive it's a scam too, but it doesn't cost anything to shoot an email to someone to be 100% positive. I once posted contact info on the old DC.com for an alledged Daytona project for sale, but only after spending 5 or 6 months trying to see the car. That one was a little different though, the seller had a history of selling older project cars, & I actually spoke to him on the phone at one time. It was advertised with a group of cars, but none had photos. We exchanged emails, talked for over 30 minutes on the phone one night, but I never got the pix he promised & got excuses.

After several months I gave up & posted his name, number, email address, etc., & one member did a drive by & saw nothing. As far as I know, the car never existed, but who knows for sure? It could have been a scam, or someone embarrassed by assuming it was a Daytona that turned out to be something else, & only found out after I asked him to verify a few things.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

oldcarnut

I'm 99% positive it's a scam too, but it doesn't cost anything to shoot an email to someone to be 100% positive. 
:iagree:  I rather feel a little stupid for checking some things out no matter how ridiculous it may sound than a lot remorseful for finding out it was real. I will never put out any big  money for anything unless I  see it in person though.  I bought a 1 owner 69 Superbee years back for $700 out of a back yard that others passed on because they said it was nuts to think it was possible and that it was there for that much or that the guy would sell it. It was a matter of good timing.  Maybe I should have checked a couple other forums as I did later after this post but other than this one I don't have or spend much time to check them out regularly.

41husk

I agree, and it never hurts to ask if something is for sale, you never know when you may get a deal, even if its 1 in a 1,000,000 there is always that one :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up