News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Never thought this would happen...

Started by 68RRFlyer, August 14, 2008, 12:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68RRFlyer

Hey Guys,

Ever since I created my cardomain site for my 68 Road Runner I've gotten a lot of emails from people asking how I did this, or how I did that.  Matter of fact, I've gotten some much needed help from people that found me hard to find parts which has saved me lots of grief.  So now I'm getting some emails from people that want me to work on their cars for them.  Mainly welding stuff like floors, trunk replacement and such that they just can't do because of ability or equipment.  The cars I've been solicited to repair are the 68 Charger that I previously posted, a 68 Mustang that needs floors, and a 57 Chevy that needs trunk pans, floors, and quarters. 

Now, I'm not a professional body or resto shop guy, nor do I claim to play one on the internet, so I'm asking the pros here what are the legal ramifications of doing work on someone else's car?  I'm just a guy with a welder out of my garage having fun with classic Mopars and such.   Should I emphasize this to these people and make them sign something saying I'm not a pro and I'll do it at your own risk with no warranty?  The three guys that have asked me to do some welding all seem honest and after talking with them, understand I'm not a pro shop.  Still, should I have them sign something I draw up just in case?  I know what happens when money starts getting thrown around.  People change when problems arise and want to protect myself in any way possible.  :yesnod:

I'm thrilled at possibly having starting maybe a side business, but I think I'm going to just keep it "backyardsy" for right now.  I'm proud of my work on my Road Runner and think I am doing an OK job for an amature.  So what are your thoughts? :shruggy:  Thanks guys.  I'll have some pics of the 68 Charger Sunday and will post when I get back home midweek.

Cheers  :cheers:
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

The70RT

Have them look at yours in person and see if it is to their liking. Doesn't hurt to make a little side cash.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

69*F5*SE

Yeah, if you think you can do it and have the time why not make some side cash.  Just be sure that you know what to do beforehand and map things out per job and have at it.   :Twocents:

Charger_Fan

:iagree: making a little side money is nice.
For the legal aspect, make a disclaimer & have the guy sign it...with your wife recording the whole thing on a video camera. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Brock Samson

that's a nice shiney trunk,..  :coolgleamA:

looks like you do good work,.. bear might wanna take notes too...  :icon_smile_wink:

PocketThunder

You, sir, are no amature in my book. :yesnod:  And dont worry about backing up a warranty, we read on here everyday that some professional restoration shops dont even do that!
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

68RRFlyer

Thanks for the compliments and thoughts guys.  That helps out a lot.  I'll probably have them sign some type of waiver of liability claim or something like that.  Anyway, I'm headed over in about an hour to go see the 68 Charger.  I'll get some pics and report back later today.  I'll start a new thread with the pictures and info.  He has the buildsheet, service paperwork, and even his first payment book!!  Should be pretty cool to look at and I can't wait to drive that beast.  :2thumbs:  Thanks again guys. 

Cheers  :cheers:   
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100