News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got my new torsion bars installed----Wrong?

Started by AmadeusCharger500, November 01, 2008, 04:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

74 charger. 1" New torsion bars...
How should the hex on the LCA sit when Installing the bar? I guess this relates to what position the arm sits in relation to the adjuster bolt?
The way mine is right now with the whole assembly hanging down, the adjuster bolt almost bottoms out before just hitting the arm.

Picture shown has adjuster bolt about 1/2 inch away from stop.

Engine not in the car yet so I want to get this worked out.

The70RT

My bolts were only turned in a little with only 1-1/2" of theads showing before contact. So....? Do you remember how far they were turned in before?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A383Wing

You sure the bars are on the correct side?   :scratchchin:

AmadeusCharger500

Good question. Just checked and L is on the drivers side.

Roth68rt

You're going to have to back the torsion bar out of the LCA, then turn the adjustment bolt all the way down until no threads are showing.  Then rotate the adjusting arm until it contacts the adjusting bolt, reinstall the torsion bar.  Make sure the UCA is contacting the rubber bumper and is not being restricted by the shock.

AmadeusCharger500

Turned to bolt all the way out....Didn't get me close enough, Took the bumber out. still didn't get close enough. Do I have to let the lower ball joint loose from the steering knuckle?

PA Dodger

I put custom bars in my Challenger. I believe they were 1.09", for autocross/roadcourse handling. The instructions for them said to set the LCA about 1/4 of the way through its travel,then slide the bars in. Then adjust from there. It worked like a charm.
I'm not sure this will work for you but it looks like you have a mile to go before you can even adjust anything. Try backing out the bar and raise the LCA until you can engage the next hex.
Dan
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

Roth68rt

The arm that the adjusting bolt engages can rotate independent of the LCA.  Once the torsion bar is backed out of the LCA rotate the adjusting arm down to meet the adjusting bolt.  This should clock the torsion socket in the LCA over one more flat and give you the adjustment your looking for.   Steve

AmadeusCharger500

Really 1/4 way through its travel?... (if referring from bumping against the adjuster pin)....thats about exactly where I had them. Any way I had allready tried moving the arm independantly I new that part and still no deal until I took my strut off. My strut was loosely connected so I took it off and just barely got the bar in. Are you guys sure this is the right position? Its pressed tight against the adjuster pin (turned bolt completely out)

Ghoste

You'll be cranking it up more once you drop the engine in.

idahogrumpy

Jack the car up taking all of the load from the suspension. Support frame of car with jack stands. Remove the torsion bars, back the adjuster bolts all of the way out to where the tip will not touch the arm. Loosen the lower control arm bolt enough to allow the movement of the torsion bar arm down towards the tip of the adjuster bolts. Slide the torsion bars back in, tighten the lower control arm nut to the correct torque making sure the arm is still at it's lowest position in relation to the adjuster bolt tip. Throw in a little adjustment to the adjuster bolt, lower the car and adjust to the proper height. That's how I do it, hope that helps. Kyle 
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

hemi-hampton

This adjusting arm might need a slight tap with hammer to get to move freely. LEON.

AmadeusCharger500

I ended up frustrated and  released the lca from the knuckle. That made it easier! Just have to do some touch up on the paint now. But they are in :icon_smile_big: