News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 Intake #id / which intake to choose

Started by frederick, July 25, 2008, 05:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frederick

Hi,
I've just removed the 4bbl intake manifold from my 383.
Could someone ID it for me, the number on it says 1737708.
Is it good or should i ditch it for a performer,(RPM won't fit under the bonnet.)

Thanks,
Frederick

Musicman

I believe that intake is from a late 50's Dodge / Desoto... around 1958... might have come off a 361 originally :shruggy:

frederick

Thanks Musicman,

I know it is the original intake for my car thats why I wanted to keep it, but while checking it over i noticed several cracks on the underside of the manifold :(
So now I will have to look a new manifold.
Which one should I shoose,  my car has the following specs:
4000 lbs
2.91 diff
4-speed manual
440 source heads
9:1 compression
lunati 60301  0.454@213, 0.475@220
1.75 Headers
600 cfm Edelbrock 1405
14"K&N

The Performer RPM won't fit under the hood so is not an option.
That leaves the weiand action+ , performer or torker.

I punched the details into engine analyser and got what you see in the picture.

So which one should i take?

Frederick

firefighter3931

I would look around for an old Edelbrock DP4B which is a dual plane. It will clear the stock hood just fine.  ;) Check e-bay....should be available for $100 or less.

Heavy car + 383 + mild cam + 2.9 gears = dual plane  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

frederick

OK, Thanks for your quick response Ron. :2thumbs:

Frederick

Musicman

Fredrick

I took the wife and the 67 to Mopar Madness up in NY state this weekend (300 miles one way), and we just got back, so I'm running a little behind in my responces. Ron is correct "as usual"... you want a Dual Plane intake for your build.

By the way, what version of that program are you running... 3.3?  3.5?

max

Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 27, 2008, 07:40:17 AM
I would look around for an old Edelbrock DP4B which is a dual plane. It will clear the stock hood just fine.  ;) Check e-bay....should be available for $100 or less.

Heavy car + 383 + mild cam + 2.9 gears = dual plane  :yesnod:

Ron

:iagree:

on a side note, the standard Performer intake is one of the poorest performing intakes i have ever used so stay away from them.

since that factory intake you have is of the older verity which if i'm not mistaken the carb actually sits a bit below the runners you could possibly up grade to a factory 1967-1971 383 HP intake and gain noticable performance and still have good bottom end power. 

frederick

Sorry for the late response, I´m on vacation.

The version I'm running is 3.3

Quote from: max on July 28, 2008, 05:04:32 PM

on a side note, the standard Performer intake is one of the poorest performing intakes i have ever used so stay away from them.

since that factory intake you have is of the older verity which if i'm not mistaken the carb actually sits a bit below the runners you could possibly up grade to a factory 1967-1971 383 HP intake and gain noticable performance and still have good bottom end power.

Oh, I didn´t know that, is the weiand action+ any better?
The bottom of the carb is level with the rest of the manifold, if thats what you mean.
Are the factory 67/71 HP intakes square or spreadbore? - I´ve got a square bore edelbrock on.

Thanks,

Frederick

ps. I won´t be back until 12 August and not able to respond earlier.

firefighter3931

The action + is a descent manifold but i would still try and locate a used DP4B....it will be cheaper and perform better.  :yesnod:

The Edelbrock DP4B was actually an over the counter item available from the dealer through the Direct Connection (now Mopar Performance) speed program and some of the older models have Chrysler part numbers cast onto them.  :icon_smile_cool:

The factory 70-71 manifolds are the best of the bunch and they are a square flange base (Holley/AFB)....not spreadbore (thermoquad)  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Musicman

70-71  -  383 - Intake #2951666

frederick

Thanks guys,

The reason I was looking for a new manifold is because with shipping costs a second hand manifold will be almost as expensive as a new one.
The mopar store here had a sale today giving a 15% discound so I went with an action+.

Frederick.