News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need to lower compression

Started by Khyron, July 18, 2008, 11:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khyron

I just got my heads back and found out they where once shaved 60 off, then the machine shop just took another 10 off them.  :RantExplode: The motor has been decked and only 10 removed from that.

I have 906 heads on it and am running Ross racing flat top pistons and scat rods.... What is the compression going to be at? I want this to run on Pump gas but it doesn't look promising  :brickwall:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

firefighter3931

Relax  :slap: Try not to panic just yet  :lol:

Get a piston to deck and chamber volume measurement and report back. There are lots of head gasket options to adjust the static compression ratio....it can be done.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Khyron

Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 18, 2008, 11:50:56 PM
Relax  :slap: Try not to panic just yet  :lol:

Get a piston to deck and chamber volume measurement and report back. There are lots of head gasket options to adjust the static compression ratio....it can be done.  ;)

Ron

Will do. Thanks. My Engine guys have been talking about just converting it to E85 because of the high compression and the unrealiable gas now a days, but I'm not sure I'm ready to do that yet. though it intrigues the hell out of me.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Khyron

o.k... sorry it took so long, but I finally got the pistons in.

The heads measured about 80cc's and the piston is to deck hight... maybe about .010 in the hole if i'm lucky.... ideas?

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Musicman

Khyron

Quote from: Musicman on August 13, 2008, 06:21:10 AM
Cylinder Bore  :shruggy:  Stroke  :shruggy:

.030 over, standard stroke. ... it's a 440/

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Musicman

Your compression should come in at roughly 10.9 depending on actual deck height and gasket thickness. That's a little on the high side for iron heads in my opinion... you should be shooting for something closer to 9.5

Khyron

Quote from: Musicman on August 13, 2008, 10:11:30 AM
Your compression should come in at roughly 10.9 depending on actual deck height and gasket thickness. That's a little on the high side for iron heads in my opinion... you should be shooting for something closer to 9.5

hmm, not as bad as I thought at least, I'll shoot for some thicker gaskets. Should still be able to run pump gas at least. That makes be feel a bit better. Thanks  :2thumbs:

I Want to get a stud kit for the heads but all I see is a stud kit for eddie heads, anyone make any for iron heads?

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Rob R

For every .020 of head gasket you'll loose about .5 of a point of compresion...with a Cometic .080 gasket you'll be 9.9..
I'd just grind a cam for it and bleed the cyl pressure off that way or cut 7 cc valve reliefs in the pistons or buy some alum cyl heads from 440'sRus for 900 a pair and be done with it. :Twocents:

Musicman

You may want to look at something like the SCE Copper head gaskets. Some of those can be had with a .093 compression thickness. That would bring your compression down to the 9.7 range.

aifilaw

There's a few people out there that run steel shims as well, that can bring it down quite a bit.

Fact is, if it were my choice, I would:
A. stick with what I got, and either bleed off quite a bit with cam overlap and be able to run low octane, or deal with what I have and urn high octane
B. Buy aluminum heads and run a no-overlap cam just fine.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

firefighter3931

Now is the time to upgrade to a nice closed chamber aluminum head.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat