News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone Install a 69-70 Legendary Dash Pad Recently?

Started by TexasStroker, April 28, 2015, 12:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

So, where to begin...

Long story short, I am curious if anyone has bought a 69-70 Dash Pad from Legendary in the last 3-4 months and test fit, or installed it.  If so, did it fit with the A-Pillar Trim?  Did it bow up in the middle once cinched down?  Or, was it a perfect fit?

Most of you can stop there...Since some will want to know why I want to know that, feel free to read on, lol.

Here is the background to the question and a recap of several other threads on the subject.

I had bought a dash pad from Classic last year, and yes...I did check to see if any members knew who manufactured it etc.  I ordered it when the stars aligned (ie in stock AND 20% off).  It looked great...metal core, tight vinyl, matched nicely with the rest of my interior etc.  In fact, I even suggested to 1-2 members here to pick it up and save some cash (although I do believe I mentioned the studs looked shorter and I hadn't installed it yet). 

I avoided Legendary because of all the threads I had seen on the pads popping up in the middle.  The disturbing trend was that these threads seemed to pop up every 1-2 years with someone new saying how they'd just bought one and it bowed up upon installation.  My thoughts were why buy the pad for 2x the price when it doesn't fit? 

My concern that the studs were too short were well founded.  I couldn't even mount it.  I think I had a thread on here seeing if anyone had successfully extended the studs.  The real kicker came when I mocked it up WITH the factory A-Pillars.  There was a very noticeable gap on either side between the pad and A-Pillars.  You could pull the A-Pillars, slide the new pad off, drop the old pad in, put the pillars back on and the difference was night and day.  If you watch the Auto Trader commercial with the General Lee and pay attention to the interior shots you can see the gaps I'm talking about.  I don't know if "new" A-Pillars are made to fit these pads, or not.  If so, they simply wouldn't work with factory dash pads. 

Upon discovering this little gem, I decided to call Legendary (who was actually having a really good sale around Valentine's Day) and ask if they had any updates on their dash pad.  To my surprise, the guy who I spoke was with very nice and up front...he said the pads did have an issue where they popped up, but it was believed to have been a limited run, or just a few in the batch etc.  This story matched what others posted in 2012 and prior.  He said if the pad didn't fit, they'd take it back and send another...That of course, made we wonder why anyone would bother if the next pad was just as likely to do the same thing, lol.  I was pretty desperate (after being told they were still backlogged with Christmas orders) and asked if they had one in stock  and was ecstatic they had 1 black pad.  The guy again went above and beyond saying that he'd have the tech guy install it on a Charger they had in the shop and get back to me...I got the call the next Monday and he said the pad did indeed pop up, but he was confident they would get the issue resolved (again, I've read that numerous times here and on other forums).  I don't know if they feed it to everyone who asks, hope most people don't notice, or if they honestly make a run of 20 pads at a time and only 1/10 have the issue.

Fast forward to last month and I was lining up the return of the dash pad to Classic and asked them if they had any interest in making one thru OER that would actually match the factory length, have long studs, and not pop up in the middle.  They investigated it and reported back that Legendary was aware of the past issues, but had them resolved and weren't aware of any recent issues or test fitting.  I have no reason to doubt the guy who called me back after Valentine's Day and he had a pad on site, in hand I would have bought.

All the recovering options I have found seem flaky at best and as much as everyone raves about NOS pads, I don't really want to shell out for a 40 year old soft trim part.  The dash pad is holding up my progress as I am doing some custom work up top, and need it in place before I install the updated cluster and tackle wiring etc.  I've asked a few folks about covers, but the feedback is mixed and I can't get confirmation that they will fully cover the front lip of the pad (every cover I have had seems to lack that extra 1/8" or so to fully cover the pad and that is at the front (windshield) side that I need smooth for my custom work.

I haven't had a chance to call Legendary again, but I am curious if any members here have bought one since say Christmas or later and have installed, or test fit it with the A-Pillars.

All I want is a pad that fits with the factory A-Pillar Trim, can be mounted with the correct length studs, and doesn't pop up in the middle.  Mine is split and has dimpled foam.  Trying to smooth the foam and re-cover it myself is a last resort...I can at least say it fits L-R and doesn't bow up when installed, even after 47 years.

Thanks for any insights.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Mike DC

I wouldn't trust Legendary's word about an existing problem getting fixed without outside confirmation.  

TexasStroker

Yeah, I'm hoping someone ordered one recently and has installed it.

It sounds like Legendary's response to Classic was the same they have given members here...The employee I talked to was at least up front when I was going to order, but I'm not sure what the next person would say.

The results here are just a linear sample of the same issue and same response that has been going for years.  I am hoping they've retooled, solved the issue, or at least have some success rate and I'd know I could send back a bad pad and get a good one etc.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

fizz

I did in January. Slight wrinkling in middle on top of dash. Studs were long enough. Had better luck starting in middle of dash tightening nuts. Used legendary a pillar trim. Don't particularily like fit @ a pillars. Gap seems wide and not even. Don't remember what it looks like stock

TexasStroker

Quote from: fizz on April 29, 2015, 10:32:55 AM
I did in January. Slight wrinkling in middle on top of dash. Studs were long enough. Had better luck starting in middle of dash tightening nuts. Used legendary a pillar trim. Don't particularily like fit @ a pillars. Gap seems wide and not even. Don't remember what it looks like stock

Cool, thanks for the insights.  Do you happen to have a pic of the wrinkling, or is it roughly the same as posted in the past?  That is a bit worrisome about you using Legendary's A-Pillars and still having issues...The gap I had with the previous bad was ridiculous.  My factory A-Pillars still fit great over the factory pad...I'm wondering how it would match with the Legendary pad.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

fizz

Would love to send pics but have given up on process. I am past the age of computer tolerance.

TexasStroker

Quote from: fizz on April 30, 2015, 05:41:20 PM
Would love to send pics but have given up on process. I am past the age of computer tolerance.

Haha, no worries...I am thankful for the feedback.  So is the vinyl just wrinkling?  How is the gap between the pad and dash frame on the windshield side?  As long as that is uniform I could proceed with my project, although I'd hope they'd have the A-Pillar gap and wrinkling under control too.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

fizz

2 spots just off of center the dash pad slightly bends up off the dash. It was worse until I loosened up the bolts and start working out from center each way. I am going to try and work it down when it is hot from sitting in the sun. I am also going to try and get better gap on a pillar trim using a heat gun(carefully) Have had success this way.

TexasStroker

Cool, good luck and thanks again for the insights.  That basically leads me to believe that they have in-fact, NOT fixed the original issue.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

fizz

Honestly, I am glad for the availability of parts. Wish some were better, but couldn't build these cars without them

TexasStroker

Quote from: fizz on May 02, 2015, 11:54:01 AM
Honestly, I am glad for the availability of parts. Wish some were better, but couldn't build these cars without them

Oh I agree...it is just a shame that parts are repopped with issues.  I think Legenday's pad is the lesser of the evils though...the one I sent back couldn't even be mounted (studs too short) and the gap between the pad and A-Pillars was ridiculous.  It sounds like if they could iron out the center popping up it would be a great option.  I'll likely order one in on the next sale and hope it fits well.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

VegasCharger

Hey Texas,  I remember replying back to you on one of your threads about this issue. It was my OEM pad for my 68 that I just did a recover job from a local upholstery shop.

That sucks that you're still having issues with what should be a simple part of a rebuild. I'm glad I get to use my original pad with my original A pillar trim. I'll have a look at the Auto Trader commercials a bit closer to see if I can spot the gaps that you had mentioned.

Good luck to you on solving this never ending issue :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

TexasStroker

Quote from: VegasCharger on May 02, 2015, 11:40:23 PM
Hey Texas,  I remember replying back to you on one of your threads about this issue. It was my OEM pad for my 68 that I just did a recover job from a local upholstery shop.

That sucks that you're still having issues with what should be a simple part of a rebuild. I'm glad I get to use my original pad with my original A pillar trim. I'll have a look at the Auto Trader commercials a bit closer to see if I can spot the gaps that you had mentioned.

Good luck to you on solving this never ending issue :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Haha, yep...I am trying to give Legendary the benefit of the doubt that it could be fixed, or that only a few "per batch" have issues.  It is just hard to do that at $500 and while the available first hand accounts say otherwise.  Maybe I'll find someone to recover mine, but it seems like there are fewer and fewer people doing upholstery (and resto work in general).  I had thought this would be one of the "simple" things  :-\
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Well, little update for everyone.

I called in Friday to take advantage of the 20% off sale and asked if the issues had been fixed...The guy said he would check into it and call back Tuesday.

I called Tuesday and he said they had a pad they would test install, but the guys said they had fixed the issue.  I then called back today and he said we were good to go that the pad was installed and didn't pop up or anything.

So, the pad is ordered, but has to be made.  It is estimated to be here 6/5-6/8.  I should be able to test fit it the day it comes in...I'm looking forward to seeing how it fits.  I thought I had posted up pics of the other one, but I guess not...I'll get pics of both up when this one comes in.  I suppose I'd rather have one pop up in the middle a bit as opposed to have a shorter overhang, studs that don't clear the dash, and a chasm like gap between the A-Pillar and pad.

I will hopefully be reporting back good news...Very excited to have finally (hopefully) gotten this sorted out.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

I got the dash pad today!  Looked great when I unboxed it and the studs weren't short nubs.

I have it in place, but it seems to want to bind up...which is disappointing given how much heavier it was than stock and the previous repop...I guess the weight isn't all in the steel core like I thought  :shruggy:

It also seems to be a half inch or so short on both ends...They kind of give the illusion of being wrapped by the A-Pillar, but basically just mount flush against it (guess it is better than having the gap like the previous repop had).  I can tweak the binding point to the left, or middle to make the right side wrap correctly and vice versa. The portion (left, middle, or right) that you get bound grabs really tight against the top surface of the dash frame.  The other sections then have a bit of flex in them (vertically).  I would imagine this is where folks position the pad and tighten everything up get the pad to flex up in the middle.

If you try to line up the A-Pillar gaps, you will wind up with the middle of the dash pad rising up...If you start with the middle 2 speed nuts you are likely going to have L or R bind up a bit and have an uneven A-Pillar gap.  I haven't mounted it yet, but I'm fairly certain those will be the outcomes.

I think I can play with it and get it close, but for the money I had hoped for something much better...It looks good, but so did the last one from a different vendor.  I can, if nothing else, confirm the studs are long enough to actually accept speednuts  :lol:

I can literally just drop my factory pad in place and everything centers, there is no binding, the ends extend into the A-Pillar trim, and I am pretty sure I have more frontal overhang.  I am very tempted to shave off the cracked vinyl and wrap it myself to see what it looks like.  A dash cap is looking like the best option, but I'm afraid I'd pay $$ freight on an already over priced cover up only to be disappointed by it too, lol.  I never thought the dash pad would turn out to be more problematic than the trunk floor and other projects I've tackled.

Has anyone noted a difference in repop A-Pillars and factory ones?  If the repops extend out a little further toward the dash pad maybe I could make that look right aesthetically.

I will get pics up soon...I forgot to mention I came in from test fitting about 11 PM to find the AC in the house is out...nice and toasty 85 as I type this at 5 AM  :rotz:

www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

kiwitrev

moral of the story is reproduction parts are NEVER as good as what left the factory on any given car so only use repo if original is just not out there. my 63 corvette has had six sets of door panels before I got a set that I would accept and they still don't fit anything like the originals that were beyond saving
if it was easy anyone could do it

joining the list my cars group
69 Daytona
70 superbird
66 charger
60 corvette
63 corvette split window
tesla S
96 bronco
10 aston DBS
64 DB5
59 custom cpe deville
TR4
lotus super 7
GTD40
32 roadster and coupe
62 nova57 chev 210 hard top

TexasStroker

Quote from: kiwitrev on August 20, 2015, 12:18:20 PM
moral of the story is reproduction parts are NEVER as good as what left the factory on any given car so only use repo if original is just not out there. my 63 corvette has had six sets of door panels before I got a set that I would accept and they still don't fit anything like the originals that were beyond saving

Sadly.  I feel for you on the door panels.  I suppose I still need to get pics up at some point.  I've left the pad sitting (as best it can anyway) in the slots of the dash it will fit into...I suppose I'm hoping I get in the shop one day, open the door, and find that the pad has magically stretched and conformed itself to shape.  It has the same "pop up" in the middle that users have described since the pad hit the market.  I don't think Legendary was lying to me when they said they test fit it and it was fine, but I certainly wouldn't put that label on it with my dash frame.  They were always super nice and even turned me away when one didn't fit up to par.  Again, I suppose the length being closer to stock and the studs actually being long enough to put the speed nuts on is a small upgrade over the previous one.  The factory pad, despite being torn and tattered, remains a blind-folded drop in with superior fit at the A-Pillar.

I should try to date a some pinterest/crafty chick for a few months and see if she could recover my factory one, lol.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!