News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

transmission

Started by sptfuryman, July 28, 2008, 03:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sptfuryman

Ive just put my 65 sport fury back together fresh engine overhaul.The 727 trans was sitting for a long time(20yrs) I put a 2200 to 2400 stall converter in upon assembly new filter fluid. took the car around the block afew times everything ok I took her out for her first major cruise(about 8 miles) ran it up to about 60mph shifted thru all gears perfectly .Went home let her sit for about three hrs went to put her in garage and nothing no gears at all no fluid on ground dip stick said full and nothing now I dont know what it could be blown trans blown pump bad torque converter it was so odd no warning nothing.Can anyone shed light on matter dont wanna spend money where its not needed

craigandlynda

no reverse either?
making any noises?

one easy thing to check is remove the inspection cover at the front of the case underneath, see if torque converter drive plate- the one w the four screws- is still attached to the converter...see that converter teeeth are moving when engine runs...

mikepmcs

let it warm for a bit and run it through each of the gears again and see if it moves.
Jamey......John, where are you guys on this one.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

John_Kunkel

If the converter drive plate or bolts were the problem the starter wouldn't turn the engine.

Sounds like a broken pump. It's not uncommon for the pump drive tangs to fail on startup.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

sptfuryman

no noise  no spilled fluid flex plate to converter bolts are there and tight(used loctite red) getting ready to pull it out.gonna take it for a rebuild. Will a good builder know if the pump is shot or if any hard parts will need replace? What do I look for when I pull it out ? Fluid doesnt look too bad Ive seen worse in good trannys. How do I know the torque converter is good It was a new reman from Hamburger I think. It sat new in box for about 7 yrs

RD

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 28, 2008, 06:24:40 PM

If the converter drive plate or bolts were the problem the starter wouldn't turn the engine.

Sounds like a broken pump. It's not uncommon for the pump drive tangs to fail on startup.

agree w/john... did you start the engine in neutral?  did you fill the converter with at least 1 quart of trans fluid prior to installation?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

craigandlynda

this may sound too simple, but did linkage pop off when you went to pull it out of park? will it crank over if you have stick in drive position?

John_Kunkel

'65 is a cable shift but that's a point I hadn't thought of, be sure the shifter (probably console) is actually moving the shift cable.

If the shifter is moving the cable be sure the cable is hooked to the inside of the trans; disconnect it from the shifter and feel for the detents as you push/pull the cable core.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

sptfuryman

I converted to a 73 383 and trans out of an old police car I bought at auction tranny is shifting and I did not fill torque converter befor assembly I think pump seals were probably rotted from sitting steelys were probably shot too it sat so long that when I finally drove it it gave me those 8 miles by gods grace and that was it im taking it out and having it  rebuilt Im also considering a  ron Mancini trans new for 850 + tax I was hoping to make woodward dream cruisethis year my inaugural run but thers always next year!

craigandlynda

have any spare valve bodies that would  fit, for a last ditch try?