News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How hot should the Power Steering Line be?

Started by basarowich, July 13, 2008, 04:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basarowich

I recently relpaced my steering box, when refulling the fluid for the power steering, I noticed that the high pressure line is hot as can be.  Is this normal, or is my pump shot? :shruggy:

375instroke

I'm sure it's normal.  Isn't everything else in the engine compartment hot?  Hydraulic pumps do build up a lot of heat.  Some cars have coolers on them.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 375instroke on July 13, 2008, 07:50:21 PM
I'm sure it's normal.  Isn't everything else in the engine compartment hot?  Hydraulic pumps do build up a lot of heat.  Some cars have coolers on them.
:iagree: The lines will get hot...about the same temperature as the engine.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

StockMan

I found that my pump and high pressure hose were getting very hot just sitting at an idle.  It was due to the steering box not being adjusted properly.  The unit that the hoses fasten to, held on by two bolts to the steer gearbox, can be moved to make the adjustment so that the pump does not 'Labor' when the steering is not being moved.  For example, if you had your steering system unhooked from the steering gear box with the motor idling in park, it should stay where it is.  If it tends to immediately turn to one side or the other this means you need to make this adjustment or your pump will always be working even when it shouldn't be causing excessive heat.

Just in case you didn't know this.