News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Found a 63 Plymouth!

Started by WingCharger, July 27, 2008, 08:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WingCharger

Found a 63 Plymouth Belvedere on CL, and am thinking of buying it. Unfortunantly it is a four door. BUT, I read in mopar collectors guide you can turn a four door into a two door with out frame moding, and am seriosly thinking of doing this.

Ad:
63 plymouth 4 door - $1500

this is a nice looking white 63 plymouth belvedere 4 door with a near perfect blue interior. the tranny worked fine and the slant 6 motor is now missing. this was my friends saturday nite cruiser and he said that it drove well.

There is a picture but cant post it here. I want to turn it into a max wedge. :drool5:

I would rather have a two door 62 savoy, i like the grille, but I like these just as good!
There is a guy coming to look at my quad today, so I might just get the $1500 I need to buy it too!

Charger1973

Save your money for the car you really want...   :Twocents:

Big Lebowski

Offer him $800 since you really want a 2 door. All he can say is no. :shruggy:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

hotrod98

Quote from: WingCharger on July 27, 2008, 08:30:13 PM
Found a 63 Plymouth Belvedere on CL, and am thinking of buying it. Unfortunantly it is a four door. BUT, I read in mopar collectors guide you can turn a four door into a two door with out frame moding, and am seriosly thinking of doing this.

Ad:

this is a nice looking white 63 plymouth belvedere 4 door with a near perfect blue interior. the tranny worked fine and the slant 6 motor is now missing. this was my friends saturday nite cruiser and he said that it drove well.

There is a picture but cant post it here. I want to turn it into a max wedge. :drool5:

I would rather have a two door savoy, i like the grille, but I like these just as good!

The problem is finding the doors and forward quarters needed for the conversion. Not as easy as it sounds. You can still find 2 door 63's out there. I sold two of them a couple of years ago for $1500 for the pair. Trust me, you won't be satisfied with a '63. Most people think that they're fugly. My wife hated the ones that I had. Come to think of it, everyone around here hated them.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

1FastCharger

Back in the early 90's I worked at an auto auction. A '64 Plymouth Savoy 2dr came through and I bought it for $250. It had the poly 318, pushbutton automatic and blue interior. I drove it for a year then sold it for $2500. A guy stopped me at the grocery store parking lot and asked if it was for sale. I said not really, but he offered me a lot more than I paid for it. The guy that bought it wanted to fix it up for his dad who raced a 64 back in the 60's.
66 A100 - 68 Charger - 69 Charger

craigandlynda

turn a four door into a two door? gonna weld the passenger side doors shut? could you explain your plan? :scratchchin:

WingCharger

Quote from: craigandlynda on July 28, 2008, 07:24:24 AM
turn a four door into a two door? gonna weld the passenger side doors shut? could you explain your plan? :scratchchin:
:smilielol:

Actually, if you get the doors and striker post from a two door model, they fit a four door into a two door. They have the same frames and roof lengths, but the doors are different. So, a two door will fit a four door.

WingCharger

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 27, 2008, 09:35:30 PM
Quote from: WingCharger on July 27, 2008, 08:30:13 PM

Ad:

I would rather have a two door savoy, i like the grille, but I like these just as good!

The problem is finding the doors and forward quarters needed for the conversion. Not as easy as it sounds. You can still find 2 door 63's out there. I sold two of them a couple of years ago for $1500 for the pair. Trust me, you won't be satisfied with a '63. Most people think that they're fugly. My wife hated the ones that I had. Come to think of it, everyone around here hated them.

I like the 63s. I like all of the factory drag racers from plymouth and dodge from 62 to 65. I would love to own any of them. WAX WEDGE!!
Heres a picture of a 63 Belvedere, in rough shape. THIS IS NOT THE CAR IN THE AD!!

Todd Wilson

Dont buy it unless its got a Dana 60.....

Todd

WingCharger

craigandlynda

once bought a 63 2 dr post car...savoy...slant six...three on tree...dark metallic blue, lt blue interior...loved it...if you convert from 4 dr to two, what about rear side windows? sounds like you need lots of parts from the two door sedan...

am currently looking at 65 2 dr post car, belv 1, 225, three on tree....but every panel on body needs work. weeds are growing up thru floor and last years growth wrapped around steeringcolumn...its been sitting out in wet area 20 yrs...once it is moved, scared frame will be very shot...may buy just for parts..nice difference between 65 and erlier is rear drum setup, don't need puller

R2

I would wait,,,and find a 2 door,,,,sounds like alot of work,,,,to convert from a 4 to 2 door....
If you are thinking drag car,,,,,,i am not sure "building" it yourself is the way to go,,, no offense here,,,,this is just from personal experience.
It will take LOTS of money and LOTS of time,,,to do it yourself,,,,,ie installing cage, dana,suspension upgrades, brakes, not to mention paint,,and motor,,,,
I would look for a "roller",,,that already has been caged,,,tubbed,,,,and usually the suspension and brake stuff has been done,,,
rollers can be found for "reasonable" amounts,,,,,if you calculate what it would cost to do it all yourself,,,,you will save big in the end....
drag cars (especially rollers),,,,dont hold the value that a bone stock original car would..........

I bought my Belvedere,,,65 ,,,, and was lucky that it had a motor in it,,,,,,and was able to even race it the first year i got it,,,before "restoring" it,,,,,
It already had a dana, caltracs, cage, shifter, etc,,,,,,
i pulled the drive train out,,,,,trim,,,interior,,,,,and had it painted,,,,,,low buck paint job,,,,but for what the car is used for,,,,it was great,,,,,,re-did interior and some trim,,,,,freshened the motor,,etc,,,,and it turned out ok,,,,,,,,,,, :cheers:
i put some pics in ....
good luck,,,,,,,,,
again, this is just my opinion,
Doug

Before

AFTER

TeeWJay426

They are out there.... just takes a while to find them. A friend of mine looked for two years to find a home for his Max Wedge, and finally located this one in Kansas:

74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed