News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking To Buy/How to Ship??

Started by yellocharge68, October 21, 2005, 07:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellocharge68

??? ??? ???O K, I called and kinda got the run around from UPS.  I am negotiating to buy an engine block, anyone know of an inexpensive way to ship it...I would appreciate any info. I wasn't sure if this was the appropriate place to ask...I am certain Troy will tell me....Thanks again guys and any and all info will be greatly appreciated.   Looks like I may just have to plan on a day trip  its about 600 miles away from me......just fyi!!!!!! :-X
Sunfire Yellow 1968 Dodge Charger 383/727 auto-console

PocketThunder

You can do 600 x 2=1200 miles in a weekend.....  or maybe try yellow freight....  i'm getting old so i'd rather pay more for it to be delivered, but back when i was younger and dumber i would have hopped in the truck and hit the road...
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Old Moparz

I never shipped, or had someone ship an engine block, but I have picked them up for myself. It was not hard, but awkward to do if you're alone. I had also made 2 wood crates, for 2 complete, slant six motors once, so someone could pick them up from my garage. The crates were basically just wood frames surrounding the long blocks to keep them upright. Both ends were 3/4" thick plywood with holes drilled to mount the ends of the motor to it with bolts.

The toughest part might be to get the seller to prep the block to ship. I think the cheapest way to "package" it, would be to send it on a pallet, but it may not be the easiest. A pallet will probably mean it goes truck freight, & that means you need to make sure the seller can drop it off at a truck terminal, or that the freight company will pick it up. I don't think UPS will take a pallet. The size of the block isn't the problem, just the weight.

If you can get the seller to make a cheap, but sturdy crate, I'd bet a company like DHL would take it. I have sent large & heavy crates by DHL in the past, & they have never given me any trouble. The largest crate I had sent was 125 pounds, & roughly 24"ht. x 24"w x 86"long. That one was about $120 from NY to CA, but also oversized. I would say you could use a crate that was  ¼ of that size, but the weight will be high.

Maybe someone on here who ship, or has shipped blocks regularly can help.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Blown70

YELLOW FREIGHT....
Pick it up do not have them ship it direct to your door you will save a lot of $$.   The shipper should crate or pallet it however,

I have had them do the best for me.

Old Moparz

If you & the seller do go with a truck freight company & both agree to pick up & drop off at the terminal, this one is another option that's inexpensive.

http://www.forwardair.com/

I haven't personally used them, but I know a lot of people who have shipped car parts through them & were happy with the service & price. There's just no door to door delivery, only to their terminal.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

'CUDA360

I just used foward air on a Corvette front end and they were perfect. Oversize crate with a very fragile one piece fiberglass part...

no problems

Troy

I just got a large crate through R+L and the shipping wasn't too bad. It was an extra $30 for home delivery though so picking it up at the terminal would have been cheaper (and a day faster).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Pistolpete

I've had my best response from yellow for the exact same thing, where you going from/ to?

still trying to finalize my transaction though.
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

4402tuff4u

I agree, Yellow is the way. 2 years ago I shipped a GM 8V92 diesel power unit over 1500 lbs and got to it's destination without any problems. I just had to drop it off to the terminal with a roll back flat bed.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"