News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best way to repair?

Started by 69bronzeT5, August 23, 2007, 01:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

My car has rotten torsion bars and the rear frame rails right by the rear valance are rotten. Whats the best way to repair them...buy caps and cap them or cut them out and find replacments? And also, possibly the cheapest way :popcrn:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bull

The best way is always the right way and to do it right the rust needs to be gone, not covered.

terrible one

Caps will be cheaper of course, but the right way, as Bull said, would be to cut out the rusty areas and replace them. Are your torsion bars themselves rotten or is the the torsion bar crossmemeber?

Lurker

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on August 23, 2007, 01:01:54 AM
My car has rotten torsion bars and the rear frame rails right by the rear valance are rotten. Whats the best way to repair them...buy caps and cap them or cut them out and find replacments? And also, possibly the cheapest way :popcrn:

i cut and patched my rear frame rails, easy to do if the rear crossmember and valance are off the car i wouldn't do caps my self unless i was 100% sure all the rust underneath was dead.
1968 xp29 charger thats now rust free.. and trunk free and floorboard and quarterpanel free.
1972 b5/b5 318 barracuda patently waiting its turn.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663667

69bronzeT5

Quote from: terrible one on August 23, 2007, 07:21:02 AM
Caps will be cheaper of course, but the right way, as Bull said, would be to cut out the rusty areas and replace them. Are your torsion bars themselves rotten or is the the torsion bar crossmemeber?

Im pretty sure its the crossmember but Im not sure....whatever it is, its almost completley gone on the right side... :icon_smile_blackeye:

Heres a pic of the left side...I circled the part that is rotten and even more rotten on the right side..I also circled something Im not really sure what it is...
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

lilwendal

The forward piece you have circled is just a lower section of the cowl. Extension of the splash gaurd area.  Its not hard to replace.
You definetly have a rusty torsion mount cross member.  I suspect you will find more problems when you get the rest of the floor up.
Sand blast it and you'll really see how bad it is.
If you have to replace floors on both side and this is the "better" side of your cross member then I would say replace the whole cross member. Theres not too much to it once the floors are out.  Each forward frame has 7 or 8 spots that attach it. Then on each rocker there are 6 or seven more.
If you can wait till AMD releases thier full floor pans that would really speed up the process. No more stich welding the tunnel. :yesnod:

daytonalo

Does anyone make a full Crossmember  ? Please , not that cap bullshit !!!!!!!

lilwendal

I dug one out and gave it a quick blasting.  Very nice with no rust.  Heres a couple pics.    First come first served.
150.00 plus 30.00 shipping lower 48.

lilwendal

Sorry wrong pics.   :-\theses were before it was blasted.  I'll post the after pics  tomorrow.

terrible one

Quote from: lilwendal on September 10, 2007, 09:21:54 PM
I dug one out and gave it a quick blasting.  Very nice with no rust.  Heres a couple pics.    First come first served.

Now that's a deal!

Truebelieverone

Quote from: lilwendal on September 10, 2007, 09:21:54 PM
I realize this is almost a year old thread but is there any chance you still have this piece?