News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sure-Grip conversion questions

Started by Finn, June 02, 2008, 09:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finn

Alright guys time for some noobish questions  :icon_smile_cool:

I'm trying to convert my standard 8.75 diff to a suregrip (I assume this is possible right)
After some thread searching Ive concluded I need a "Auburn Posi Unit 8 3/4" from this place:
http://gearsareus.com/gearsareus/gearstuff/posimopar.htm

Is that right?
Is there anything else needed for this conversion? Also, Ive already got a rebuild kit for it as is so will having the suregrip be a factor in using anything in the kit?

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

RD

clutch type unit is preferable as you can rebuild it, auburns are one time go (but will last a while).  have you thought about a detroit locker?  those are good as well.  not sure on the price though.

in regards to what you will need, what bearings are you using, OEM tapered or green bearings?  what 3rd member case do you have?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Finn

Ah so Auburn is a type not a name. Got it.
So from that (website) would I be looking for a "8 3/4" Mopar Sure Grip Posi Unit (used/rebuilt)"??

I just drop the case off to be hot-washed or w/e they call it so I cant double check it but I'm pretty positive its a 742 case.
The bearings are just OEM tapered. What are green bearings?

From other threads I think I remember reading that the detroit lockers were ruff on corners so I didnt bother looking into them that much. What are the pro I was seeing if I could find any clutch types like you mentioned before replying and stumbled upon this "E-locker" thing that looks interesting but Im not sure if it would work with the application:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differential/E-Locker.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=5589&t_pl=5475

Are there new clutch type kits available or is it pretty much rebuilds only? It doesn't bug me that its rebuilt I'll just have to start looking for one right away...
Is there any other advantage to the clutch type over cones/lockers besides their ability to be rebuilt?

Thanks for the reply!
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Chatt69chgr

If you play around with google and the search feature on this website you will find pretty well everyting you want to know.  Generally speaking, any suregrip will interchange into any case but the bearings are specific to that case.  The cone type suregrip was phased in during the 69 to 72 timeframe depending on body type.  2nd gen chargers got the cone type I believe in mid year 69 production.  The cone type was meant to be replaced when it wore out although some enterprising types have figured out how to machine the cones and get a second life out of these.  The clutch type is rebuildable.  Clutch packs are available from Mopar still.   Auburn bought the rights to the cone type years ago and markets it now.  New clutch type have become available for the first time in many many years about a year or two ago.  I don't know right off hand where you can buy one.  I think the Auburn types go for 400 to 500 and the plate type go for a few hundred more.  Most Mopar people want the clutch type.  I don't really know a lot about Detroit lockers but believe they are more for drag racing and not for street use.  Others may correct me on this.  Used to be able to score used plate type suregrips but they are like the proverbial hens teeth now.  Do you have a 741, 742 or 489 case?

Finn

742 case. I'll be combing the web for those new clutch types you mentioned but if anyone knows the link.... :cheers:
Ive found related topics on this site but didnt follow on the level of mechanical knowledge (first project car, no shop classes lol).
About how long will the cone types last generally (with a "fun"  :icon_smile_tongue: driving style)??
Thanks for the reply!
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Nacho-RT74

just cone kind to 8.75 ( thats what I found )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html