News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Suggestions On Parts

Started by jordan23, May 29, 2008, 12:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordan23

Hi,
I am brand new to the forum and to working on cars in general. I would certainly appreciate some guideance.

I am about to start fixing up a 68 R/T. I believe it has been sitting in the same spot outside for about 12-14 years and was started last about 6 years ago.

Anyhow, It has at least one small hole in the gas tank, so i will either need to repair or replace it. For now, I guess I want to see if it will crank and make sure the engine isn't locked up. With that said, i would like suggestions on the best parts to get for the following. I will replace these before attemping to crank it. It is a standard 440 Magnum with a 4 barrell carb.

Spark Plugs
Plug Wires
Oil
Battery

Are there any brands or types for the above that perform better than others for this engine? I am still learning and dont know a lot at this point about working on cars.

Also, aside from seeing if it wil crank, what should be my next steps in gettting it starting. I know I need to drain and replace all fluids as well.

Also, what are some good sites to order parts from, motor and interior?

Thanks Much for the help.

Dans 68

First, welcome to the site!  :2thumbs:

Second, use the search feature to find lots of information on all your questions. It make take a little time but what you read here will last you a lifetime (and I only refer to the technical side of things!   :P ).

Suggestions...replace the tank. One hole only means that there are more hidden. And take all the spark plugs out, and squirt some motor oil down the bores. Let it sit a while and crank it over by hand to make sure it's behaving. The heads can come off for a visual inspection and more oil addition.

And the best way to get attention here is to post photos of your ride. The more the better! A '68 R/T a nice Mopar to start out on!   :cheers:

Dan

P.S. Did I mention photos???
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259