News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

flip top fuel cap

Started by mauve66, March 26, 2009, 03:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauve66

for many years i've wanted to put one on the 1st gen but not do any body panels mods other than filling the current lid in and drilling another hole.  i like the 68 cap (plain/solid face) but don't want the beveled trim rim (68-70) which requires a beveled quarter panel.  will a 68 cap fit with a 71 challenger trim rim which is flat???  i was hoping they made all the caps the same and just changed the trim.......................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

If you want to get really creative, change the trunk medallion into a flip top cap.

mauve66

Quote from: Troy on March 26, 2009, 05:04:54 PM
Have you looked at the ones for 67 GTX?
http://www.collectormotors.com/1967belv.htm

Troy

no i absolutely forgot about them, do you think the quarter panel is fairly flat under the cap??

Quote from: Ghoste on March 26, 2009, 05:42:21 PM
If you want to get really creative, change the trunk medallion into a flip top cap.

that is a really cool idea......... if i ever had enough money i would go fuel injection and then redo the tank for the pump, that might work then.........................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

mauve66

great, just did a search for the GTX cap and its TWICE as expensive as the Charger/Chally caps :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

vancamp

we thought about doing this mod to a friends 66 charger, but the problem you run into even with the gtx cap is that the cap seals against the filler neck and the 66-67 chargers neck will not work plus the amount of body work involved just to fit it to the quarter made it prohibitive, it could be done but would take a lot of fabrication to get it to work right. :Twocents:

skip68

You need to buy a 68 Charger and then you will not only have the best cap but, you get the best car.   :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

A383Wing

They didn't make pink 68's......  :nana:

mauve66

i figured i'd just cut a hole in the stock door and use a fuel resistant rubber hose to go from the filler neck to the hole in the solid door that the cap would seal to, then weld the door to the panel when i get the seam for the quarters/doors/front fenders cut and filled.  welding the original door into place, or even a patch panel for that matter would limit the bondo to an acceptable level, just like replacing a quarter panel would................ right??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment