News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

White Smoke (solved). Carb questions now.

Started by Goodz, April 03, 2008, 09:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goodz

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on April 22, 2008, 12:23:11 PM
  Probably was a replacement carb and didn't have all the same connections, so it looks like vacuum line points of the new carb he didn't need, he just put a couple/few inch hose on and a bolt in it.    It doesn't look cool, but it does block off that line ok.  An old Dodge truck with 318 two barrel I had had one or two of those, there is probably a cleaner looking way to do that, hopefully someone will say.
    I don't know about that carb,   looks different/unique,  wonder what the cfm is on a one barrel, look sort of big,
   maybe somewhere cheap you can find a different carb and intake, if you have to take off your intake anyways to find possible leak there . . .

So do you think I could be losing vacuum while braking from those hoses?  is it possible that that is part (or all) of the cause of the car stalling out while braking?  Or it feeling like it's not braking properly?
"If there are two ways to interpret something I said, and one of them offends you, I meant the other one."

Steve P.

The Diaphragm may be leaking by in your booster allowing a large vacuum leak. Start the motor. Leave it in park and slowly step down on the brake pedal while listening for a light whistle or whisk of air. This is not an exact science, just a simple way to see if you can hear it leaking by. On my daughters old Pontiac I chased a problem like this. Hers would only act up on cold mornings. Thus by the time I checked it out it would not act up. It took some questioning to get the real skinny.  :2thumbs:

Check 2 is to pinch off the vac. hose going to the booster (while running), and see if you have a difference in idle RPM. If it changes you have a leak.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Goodz

Sounds reasonable.  I will try that when I get home.  Thanks a bunch.
"If there are two ways to interpret something I said, and one of them offends you, I meant the other one."

Goodz

So last night, I stopped at the store to pick up some stuff for the car... engine cleaner, engine paint, red scotch pad, bondo, screws and clips for rear valance, etc.  When I got home, I decided to take someones advice and remove the carb to see how many holes are on the manifold.  There are 2.  So it's a 2 barrel carb motor.  Most of you will be like "DUH!!!", but I'm still a novice, and although all my reading says it should be a 318 with 2 barrel carbs, I needed to check for myself.  Anyway, before i loosened the bolts for the carb, I had to remove a hose that was attached to it.  As I grabbed that hose to remove it, it just fell off.  Seems the hose was cut on an angle and was barelt hanging on there by a thread.  I believe this is where my vacuum loss was coming in.  Either way, I am going to order a new carb very soon.  Thinking about ordering it from JEGS.  Anyone know if this will do the trick without all those extra connections having to be capped off?  And is this a reasonable price?  Any alternative suggestions?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/0-7448/10002/-1

myk

I know this is probably pushing it, but rather than buy another 2 barrel 'carb, would you consider buying a 4 barrel with an intake to match?

1969chargerrtse

Next time just look down the throat of the carb.  You will have one or two " butterfly's"  I would not replace the carb.  The lines with bolts in them are fine for now.  You need to cap off the booster line and see if it still stalls.  Also, you have idle air screws to adjust for a little better idle and you can just idle it up a bit.  Don't go wasting 300.00 bucks for a carb.  If it runs fine except when you brake, disconnect the brake vacuum line and cap it.  It has to solve the problem?  If it does you have to check the line and grommet connection at the booster or the booster is bad, new or not.  If braking at an idle is the only problem, solve it and save 300.00 it won't run any better with new carb if the carb is not the problem. See the 2 screws at the front base of the carb?  2 screws, 2 barrels.  Turn each out a bit ( 1/2 ) turn at a time and see if the idle goes up.  Make sure also they are the same .  Example..   2 turns out, on both sides.  When you get a higher idle stop there and then idle the idle screw in to  whats suits you.  :Twocents:  I see a larger line for PCV?  Did that motor originally have one?  You can look up a vacuum line chart on the web I'm sure.   Oh you asked how is the post as a whole?   Ummmmm.  very nice.  :shruggy:   Good spelling, no swears, good job. :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

SeattleCharger

Quote from: Goodz on April 22, 2008, 09:58:53 AM

" . . . The engine looks like it has a single barrel carb on it.  I havent taken it off yet, and granted I dont know much, but thats what it looks like judging by pictures I have seen of a single barrel carb.  I didnt see the butterfly like you normally see on a double barrel.  . . . " 

Kind of looks like a one barrel carb put on later, maybe would explain the hoses with screws in em,   :shruggy: 

Anyway,    you have a V-8 Charger,  no one barrel,  two-barrel minimum,   and a 318 four barrel intake is prob. really cheap if you aren't going eddlebrock or something,   buying a new carb two or four, might as well get four      :2thumbs: :Twocents:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Goodz

Quote from: myk on April 25, 2008, 04:13:50 AM
I know this is probably pushing it, but rather than buy another 2 barrel 'carb, would you consider buying a 4 barrel with an intake to match?

In all honesty, I dont know much about intakes and carbs, so I will ask a "stupid" question...  What would be the advantage of switching out the present 2 barrel intake manifold for a 4 barrel?  How will a 318 hold up to that? 

It should be clear that this will not be a racer, just a cruise night car that me and my GF can enjoy.  We want the engine to look good and be solid, but I am not looking to wow people on speed and such.  Just took out the Master Cylinder and painted it since Blue looks better than RUST.  LOL.  We plan on doing the same with the engine and the headers and other parts, having a blue and silver theme under the hood.  But again, its more for show than anything.

SeattleCharger

Well, for looks and some performance increase, you already have headers, so that is good for going to a four barrel.    Your restriction on some power is probably in the carb and intake.   the more going in, the more out,    you have the headers already to handle the "more out", so now get yourself a fourbarrel intake/carb set up, "more in".   if that all makes sense, heh.
    You also have chrome valve covers for looks.   You can buy a nice intake that will look and performe much better, the carb is going to cost some though.   You don't need a big one with a 318, but hey, a new holley two barrel you were going to buy isn't exactly cheap.
   Look for good deals on ebay.  try eddlebrock performer intake, or performer rpm,  you will want a dual plane intake.   on the carb size, maybe a 600 cfm,   for example, a popular size for a 440 is about a 750 or 770.   You don't want to much carb if the set up can't take it, more isn't always better, it will bog down and stall out and sputter, so 600 is still big for a 318, maybe others will chime in with opinions here,  

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

myk

A solid, enjoyable cruiser would be well served by a 4 barrel 'carb and matching intake.  Go to Summit racing, and you'll find several 'carb and manifold choices that even when combined, will still cost under $500.  Like I said earlier, if you're going to spend hundreds on a new or remanufactured 'carb, might as well get a 4 barrel and make the car that much more enjoyable...