News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Swapped the Centerlines back to Redline Skinnies on my '68.. Opinions??

Started by bill440rt, April 22, 2008, 09:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redlines vs. Centerlines

Leave 'em on!!
10 (66.7%)
Uggh, put the Centerlines back on, puh-leeze!!
5 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: May 12, 2008, 09:55:42 PM

bill440rt

I wanted to take some pictures today of my '68 with the Magnums & Redline tires. What do you think??  :scratchchin:  :popcrn:
It's been a while since these were on. Man, does it drive different!

I was hoping to send in a few pictures in to Carlisle, maybe to try to get in their dealership display as they are featuring '68's this year.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

firefighter3931

How could you !  :D

Actually it looks pretty sharp.  :2thumbs:

You can leave them on there for the show but the Centerlines must go back on...you have to promise  :lol:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

8WHEELER

I did put the redlines on my wife's 68 RT. My wife did not like the redline bias ply tires for any trips over 20mi.

It had stock size radial white walls that drove fine before the swap, and she was happy with them.
Then I had somebody else help me decode the car and found out it did not come as a redline car,
it was white wall car. She was real happy, so I bought another set of magnums and new white wall
radials believe me. I keep this car bone stock, and she likes it that way, except the bias ply tires on drives.

I have heard good things about the redline radials, I know they would not have come on the car, but
it is possible to get away with them at most shows. Redlines look even better on a red car  :yesnod: 
they did not look very good on my wife's JJ1 Gold charger with a white top........

I have a friend that has a set of those 275x60 15 radial redlines on his Roadrunner, it looks sweet, and everybody
loves the look of the car. I plan on going that rout this year, I have had radial TA's on my car for 28yrs, they
look good, but not the best tire...........

UMM sweet car by the way   :2thumbs:  if I had not lowered mine they would be twins   :cheers:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

71ChallengeHer

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Shakey

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

chargerboy69

Looks like I will be in the minority. I am just not a redlines on magnums fan.

Your car is a sweet looking car either way though.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

bill440rt

Thanks, guys.
Wow, this is getting to be a tough decision. I haven't had the redlines on the car is quite a while, I must admit it is a breathe of fresh air.

Quote from: 8WHEELER on April 23, 2008, 12:14:41 AM
I did put the redlines on my wife's 68 RT. My wife did not like the redline bias ply tires for any trips over 20mi.

Going from the redlines to the BFG radials was a HUGE difference. Well, it is the same going back. The car handles now like a bowl of Jello. These tires are horrible, it is a bear to keep straight on the road especially when you hit the "grooves" like on the highway. I never got that with the BFG's, the front end is also relatively new.

I may just keep the redlines on for this year. Burnouts are MUCH more fun!!!!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

They actually look really good Bill.  I can agree with you on the handling issue.  The bias ply tires give the car a nice look but they handle like crap.  I can't wait to get my last magnum 500 rim restoerd so I can get my radials back on under the car.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Charger-Bodie

I have repop wide ovals on 15" magnums on my Charger and I think it handles very well.....................probably be even better with radials but nothing to complain about at all!! IMO
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69 OUR/TEA

Definitely looks better with the redlines Bill,but understand that they handle like crap so that would annoy me also.Can't be to bad,the F.A.S.T cars are putting some serious HP to them. ::) IMO there are just a few colors that I don't like them on .....yellow,green,and blue.

resq302

69 our t/a,

One thing to remember about F.A.S.T. class is that those bias ply tires are only going straight.  The real problem comes into them when trying to take a curve and the car still wants to go straight.  They do love to squeal though going around the bends. :lol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Hemidog

how could you! I thought we were convo pro buddies!  :nana:

Rolling_Thunder

got bias plys on my boss's superbird and that thing does not turn for sh!t - - -   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

The Kid

That's a TOUGH decision. They both look awesome!

I'd probably stick with the Magnums & Redlines myself.

bull

Put the redlines on one side and the Centerlines on the other. :yesnod:

tan top

wheels are always a difficult choice for me  on  chargers look awesome with any wheel :yesnod:    :scratchchin: both look good  .. if it were me stock wheels & red lines  for show  center lines for the street  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

472 R/T SE

Depends, what's the engine bay look like?  All chromed out or factory original.  Carlisle would be insane not to feature it.

Dan said it best, redlines look best on a red car.  It's lookin' good.  :2thumbs:

bill440rt

Wow, I didn't think this would generate this much response. Thanks!

Well, just for now I put the Centerlines back on it for driveability. I got the redlines waiting in the corner of my garage, for the final say on Carlisle. I've had several email correspondences already with Ed at Carlisle who runs the show & the Dealer Display. He is really looking for original cars (aka "correct"), but was very impressed with mine even though it is a clone (yup, started life out as a base 318). For the moment he is strongly considering it, but will let me know when the time comes. I have my fingers crossed!

Not sure if I posted these, but here are some shots of the interior & engine bay, I know you asked 472 RT SE. It is somewhat modified, but camouflaged to look as stock as possible.

What I'll probably do is leave the Centerlines on just for the E-town show here in NJ, & slap the skinnies back on for the rest of the show season. Damn, it's fun incinerating those skinny bias redlines!