News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Almost lost the Charger and shop today!!! Stupid!!!!

Started by RECHRGD, April 20, 2008, 04:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

My shop is about 100' from the house and heated with a wood stove.  As some of you know, I'm in the middle of a cam/head swap.  Anyway, yesterday I was hanging my old body in all sorts of positions in the engine bay getting the carbon cleaned off the pistons.  When tearing the engine down the fuel and return line naturally were taken loose from the pump and filter.  The last couple of feet before the pump the lines go from hard tubling to rubber.  I put a bolt in the end of the fuel line with a little tape and found a good place to wedge it and the return line to keep them pointed up.  At some point I must have knocked the return line away from the fuel line and it slipped down under the headers.  I did not notice it and went back to the house when done for the day.  About an hour ago I went up to the shop to work some more on the car and could smell the gas at least 30' before I got to the door.  I slowing opened the side door and gas was everywhere!   :eek2:The vapors were so bad I wouldn't even turn on the lights.  It never occurred to me that gas could syphon out that line, but with a full tank and a less than perfect seal on the gas line it happened.  I'm glad I was too lazy to stoke the wood stove and let it burn out last night.  Even though the stove is raised per code, I don't see how it wouldn't have turned the shop into a bomb as those fumes thickened.  Big wake call!!!!!!  Don't get complacement around gasoline.  I consider myself very lucky.  :yesnod:   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Magnumcharger

Yes, you are EXTREMELY lucky! And smarter now as a result!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Charger-Bodie

I like that story ALOT better than the alternate ending. :o
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69charger2002

i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

tan top

:o wow you was lucky Dude ... could of lost  the Charger :'( ........  good job you went back when you did  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TruckDriver

:o WOW! I bet that smell stays in there a while too :P
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Chatt69chgr

My neighbor across the street almost lost his house and classic mustang.  He was working on it and spilled gas on the floor.  He forgot that his gas water heater was in the garage.  The gas caught fire via the fumes but they pushed the car out the door and then extinguished the fire just in time.  You can never be too careful with gasoline or, for that matter, with oily rags.  I have a story about those but will save for another time.

firefighter3931

You can never be too careful when working around fuel vapors. I allways make sure the work area is well ventilated in case of a spill.  :P

Bob, glad to hear things are OK  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

694spdRT

That was a close one luckily everything turned out OK. You could have took yourself out right along with the Charger. :o
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

8WHEELER

Dang Bob, if you had not been lazy feeding the fire ''and I know your not lazy'' you would have had a BLACK 68 Charger,
please leave it yellow   :2thumbs:

Are you as tired as me having the shop/garage 100ft away from the house?  sucks in the poring rain.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

RECHRGD

Quote from: 8WHEELER on April 20, 2008, 09:39:15 PM
Dang Bob, if you had not been lazy feeding the fire ''and I know your not lazy'' you would have had a BLACK 68 Charger,
please leave it yellow :2thumbs:

Are you as tired as me having the shop/garage 100ft away from the house? sucks in the poring rain.

Dan

Dan, it sucks worse in the pouring SNOW!  When is this winter ever going to end?   :flame: :flame:  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

4cruzin

Thats a scary story.  Glad you discovered the spill before anything bad happened. 
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

bull

six-tee-nine

Again we see........ ALWAYS stay focused, It can turn in the wrong direction real fast. Glad you and you car are well.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)