News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seal head gakets?

Started by AKcharger, April 07, 2008, 12:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Guys I feel stupid to ask this but I'm about to put my new 440source aluminium heads on and the '72 Dodge manual says to "apply sealent" and position gasket...I don't remember any sealent with my 383 I put together 5 years ago. So If it does get sealent where is it supposed to be applied?

Thanks

AK

Nacho-RT74

there is somekind of "sealant" used down here on metalic gaskets, specially on intakes. Is kinda a rubber cement. Down here ppl calls GOMA LACA. I have used to pans gaskets too.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

firefighter3931

Bill, if you are using the head gaskets in the 440 source kit which are a composite (ROL brand) style there is no need for sealant. Only the steel shim head gaskets require a spray on sealant (copper coat).

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

AKcharger

Ah!  gotcha///must be a '70's thing

Thanks... now I just need to find all the head bolts, I'm missing a few things after our house move in Jan

firefighter3931

Quote from: AKcharger on April 07, 2008, 02:25:27 AM
Ah!  gotcha///must be a '70's thing

Thanks... now I just need to find all the head bolts, I'm missing a few things after our house move in Jan

Bill, if you need some head bolts lemme know....i've got some spares kicking around here.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Quote from: MorePwr on April 07, 2008, 06:25:02 AM
Ron, to clarify. is this an Aluminum head requirement, or do you copper coat iron heads also?

Aaron

Aaron, doesn't matter what the head material is....if it's a steel shim (Non composite) gasket....it gets copper-coated.  :paintingpink:

Ron

John_Kunkel

I've always used Copper-Cote on all head gaskets, even composite, but the ROL gaskets say not to; they are sticky when removed from the package so they already have some sort of sealer applied.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

AKcharger

Copy

Thanks for the bolt offer Ron, I should be fine...plus I still owe you for that washer!

Fast_68_440

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 07, 2008, 02:02:07 AM
Bill, if you are using the head gaskets in the 440 source kit which are a composite (ROL brand) style there is no need for sealant. Only the steel shim head gaskets require a spray on sealant (copper coat).

I have a similar question.  I am using the head gaskets from the mopar gasket kit out of the jegs catalog (part number 312-P3690175 ).  I believe they are composite gaskets (haven't received the shipment yet to check).  I am reading the 68 service manual and it says to "coat new gaskets with suitable sealer, MoPar Number 1057794 or equivalent."  Will I have to use a sealer on these or can I just put them on and bolt down the head?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Fast_68_440 on April 16, 2008, 12:12:46 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 07, 2008, 02:02:07 AM

I have a similar question.  I am using the head gaskets from the mopar gasket kit out of the jegs catalog (part number 312-P3690175 ).  I believe they are composite gaskets (haven't received the shipment yet to check).  I am reading the 68 service manual and it says to "coat new gaskets with suitable sealer, MoPar Number 1057794 or equivalent."  Will I have to use a sealer on these or can I just put them on and bolt down the head?

Fast68,

The FSM refers to a stock factory head gasket which was in fact a steel shim head gasket. Those do need some coppercoat on both sides and are not a composite style gasket like the Felpro's or ROL's.

All of the gasket kits i've seen have comp with the composite head gaskets.  :yesnod:

Ron