News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

didnt even get frustrated.... just thought about the work I had to do when...

Started by RD, April 21, 2008, 09:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

i just got done replacing a cam/lifter set and a new oil pump on my friend 71 R/T clone.  got it timed, test drove it, brought it back to the house. 

got in my charger, heard a strange tick and mistook it for an exhaust leak.  pulled into the autoparts store and went in side.

30 min later, came out and gave her a crank "clack, clack, clack, clack!!!"  WTF!!!!

didnt crank it again, borrowed some tools, opened up the driver's side VC, and felt and seen a wiped cam lobe and an "ovalized" lifter... Oh.. forgot, a bent pushrod.

now i have to change a cam and lifter set on my charger now  :rotz:

oh well... now i get to put in the big cam in place of the iddy biddy one hehehe muwhahahahaha!  hopefully the lifters come in on wednesday so i can get it done.

oh.. and it will be rotella T 15-40 from now on with some lucas additive by god.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

Check the label on that Rotella, they're changing their formulation now too.

1969chargerrtse

Not to add to your worries, but it's said that when the cam and lifters wear the metal travels throughout the entire engine and possibly ruining the bearings, so check anything else you can.  I use Valvoline V21 racing oil, you can get it at most auto stores.  That sucks, good Luck.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Death1970Proof

Quote from: RD on April 21, 2008, 09:11:26 PM
i just got done replacing a cam/lifter set and a new oil pump on my friend 71 R/T clone.  got it timed, test drove it, brought it back to the house. 

got in my charger, heard a strange tick and mistook it for an exhaust leak.  pulled into the autoparts store and went in side.

30 min later, came out and gave her a crank "clack, clack, clack, clack!!!"  WTF!!!!

didnt crank it again, borrowed some tools, opened up the driver's side VC, and felt and seen a wiped cam lobe and an "ovalized" lifter... Oh.. forgot, a bent pushrod.

oh well... now i get to put in the big cam in place of the iddy biddy one hehehe muwhahahahaha!  hopefully the lifters come in on wednesday so i can get it done.

oh.. and it will be rotella T 15-40 from now on with some lucas additive by god.

Would the rotella oil be good for engine break in as well??? :shruggy:
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

RD

Quote from: Death1970Proof on April 22, 2008, 08:39:06 PM

yes, but adding some GM EOS helps out tremendously (do they still sell that stuff, anyone?)
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

68chrgrwife

Quote from: RD on April 22, 2008, 09:08:58 PM
Quote from: Death1970Proof on April 22, 2008, 08:39:06 PM

yes, but adding some GM EOS helps out tremendously (do they still sell that stuff, anyone?)

Yup hubby bought it a few months back....
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!