News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How hard to find these wheels are?

Started by COKE, May 26, 2007, 04:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COKE

Hi,
I always liked these wheels,do not know the name or the brand.

Did the 70 Charger came with them from factory?
Are they very hard to find or does exist repros?

Thanks in advence
69´Charger R/T,440 ,4-speed,Dana 60 3.55.

69bronzeT5

70's didnt come with them from the factory. They are Slotted Mags and I dont think there hard to find. I just had a set of them here last year
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

69bronzeT5

terrible one

No, they are not a factory wheel. However, they were very popular in the 70's, and many brands made them, including Ansen, Indy, ET, Western Wheel, and many other generic brands. If you go to Ebay and type in "slot mag", "slotted mag", "aluminum slot", "aluminum slotted", "ET slot mag", "Indy mag", etc. you will find plenty of hits. American Racing reproduces these wheels, but they aren't quite the same as the "real" ones, as they have an extra lip in the slots.

Here's a picture of some Indy's that are going on my car, and then one of the American Racing repros, where you can see the extra little lip on the slots. The American Racing repros just don't look right to me:

JimShine

They are really easy to find used, howver, most I have seen have become "chaulky" over the years and need a good wetsand and polish.

Brock Samson

also some are "deep dish" and some are shallower... those pics provide a good example of the difference..

hemihead

I think Ansen is making those again
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

COKE

Thanks for all the replies. ;)
Is hard to find without knowing the name of the thing you are looking for. :brickwall:
Now i know it.I always was refering to them like "The Wheels of the Cannonball Charger" :eyes:

What kin of nuts do they use?
Conic of tube nuts?

Thanks again.

Brock Samson

here's a thread about them,..

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,17345.0.html

So if you have a '69 your gonna have to use the left handed thread ones but only on one side and right handed ones on the other and the depth of them are dependant on the size of the rim, in this thread i was looking for the right handed ones for my '71,..
so be advised,.. these other guys will hopefully chime in any time now with more info,.. like which side is which..  :scratchchin:
because I replaced my '69's lugs on my Ansen deep dish slots 23 years ago,..  :-\ i've forgotten more then i remember,..  :P  Sigh
I also had to spend five hours per wheel polishing my wheels by hand cause i found mine used and they were pretty cruddy,..
i forget how much i paid for them but it was many years before some members here,.. Ahem,.. Cody/Charger Punk Cough,.. were born... ;D

I can't sell ya mine cause I'm using them on my road runner now.   :yesnod:

Those web sites listed though will have what you need..

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!    :yesnod:

terrible one

As for lugs, if they have a set bolt pattern, they will use shank style mag lugs, like the ones pictured below:

However, a lot of them you will find are going to be "unilug" which have an oval hole in order to accomodate for different bolt patterns. For unilug wheels, you have to get a special set of offset washers and lugs for your bolt pattern, such as these from Summit:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D7540143&N=700+4294919065+115&autoview=sku

Brock Samson

Terrible One Is an Awsome Guy Ain't he?..  :yesnod:

COKE

Thanks Terribleone.
I changed all my studs to right handed,cause i did not have idea about the original  left hand studs and i broke two of them trying to loose them. ::)

I have Weld pro star wheels now and i do not like the tube nuts& washers sistems.Once i arrived to home with the rear wheels buts loosed.
I was hoping that these had the conic sistem :icon_smile_dissapprove:

However they looks fine.
That RoadRunner is cool!! :yesnod:

69bronzeT5

We had a pair of slotted mags on my dad's 72 International 4X4 Pickup. I was out there for hours polishing and cleaning them after they sat in some guy's garage for a few years

CB

I bought my 15' polished slotted mags on Ebay last year. $400 and they where mine :)
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

hemi-hampton

I've been threw a few sets of these over the years. The ones I had  were called Ansen Sprints. Just recenty I had a set & nobody wanted them. Couldn't give them away. I got more money for them at scrape yard for the Aluminum weight then anybody else wanted to pay for them LEON.

troy.70R/T

Leon I would have Traded you my 70 valance for them if they were 15x 8.5 I am always a day late on finding slots. I am sure when I find a set then they will start reproducing them without that extra cut out around the slot. :brickwall:

Death1970Proof

Quote from: troy.70R/T on March 31, 2008, 07:23:35 PM
Leon I would have Traded you my 70 valance for them if they were 15x 8.5 I am always a day late on finding slots. I am sure when I find a set then they will start reproducing them without that extra cut out around the slot. :brickwall:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ET-IV-4-Slotted-5-Slot-Mag-Wheels-Ford-Mopar-AMC_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ140747QQihZ024QQitemZ370036073363QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

hemi-hampton

Troy, I think they were 15x8. 2 15x8 in rear & 2 15x6 or 7 in front. Got $45 for them at scrap yard. Before that best offer I could get was $50 :flame: :shruggy: Now I got some original mint used Goodyear Polyglas gt tires I cant give away? Whats up with this?  :shruggy: LEON.

superduperbee

Do a search for "Ansen Sprint", they started reproducing them a year or so ago. I've seen them advertised in a couple magazines.

troy.70R/T

I go to the scrap yards to look for slots but most will not resell them because of liability reasons. I know atlot of them are going for scrap right now because of the high prices. buy the way the prices are high because the Chinese are buying all the scrap Metal.

myfever

myfever