News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Auto to 5 speed conversion?

Started by Fitz73Chrgr, March 22, 2008, 09:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitz73Chrgr

Considering converting the 73 from a 904 auto to a 5 speed.  I hear a lot about Keisler, and I checked out their site.  They have what seems to be a full auto to manual conversion kit minus the transmission tunnel.  I also looked at Classic Mopar 5 Speed, and they have a similiar kit that doesnt have the pedals for about $900 less.  Both kits seem pretty pricy, but I haven't seen any other options other than tracking down conversion parts myself but that could still end up costing just as much. 

I'd like to hear some opinions on these companies. 

Has anyone done this in a 3rd gen? 

Any opinions on this? 

Also, does anyone make a manual conversion tunnel for these cars or does anyone have a used one they'd want to sell? 

Thanks. 
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

doctorpimp

The Keisler kit for a 73 comes with the trans tunnel for the auto to manual conversion.

I installed it into my 73 last fall.  It was very straight forward and not too hard to do.  I had my complete drivetrain out of the car and put it back in with the new trans etc.
I still haven't driven the car yet, but my wife's Barracuda has a keisler in it and it is awesome to drive.  3.91 gears and 2500 RPM at 70
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

Fitz73Chrgr

Is the trans tunnel conversion factory looking? 

Thanks for the help.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

doctorpimp

Yeah, it's an exact repro of the original.
Just measure the floor, cut and weld in.
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

werner

Put one im a 69 charger last year. Was worth every penny. Its a blast to drive. Installed the pistol grip as well as trhe hyd clutch. I would suggest upgrading the clutch to the best thhey sell. I opted for the 450ft/lb one and it is slipping now when doing 2nd gear burnouts. The over drive is great.
Spend the money and go for it. keaisler is great to deal with. I ordered the pedals from them as well. Look factory.
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

Hemidog

I would love to see some pictures of the install werner!