News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 b-body A/C heater core hoses...

Started by StockMan, March 20, 2008, 04:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StockMan

I have a 68'charger with A/C and recently completed assembly and install of a restored heater/AC box.  I see now that I have an anti-freeze leak somewhere.  It is not the heater core itself, I had that tested with new rubber hose installed.  My question is, can the set of copper hoses (2) that fit into heater core that run through the firewall be taken out without pulling the entire heater box assembly from the firewall.  They come through the firewall about 1.5 inches or so.  These mount into the heater core and seal with o-rings.  I think these are where my problem lies.

Thanks.

resq302

Those copper hoses are actually part of the heater core itself.  The only way to get them out is to remove the entire heater system inside the car.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

StockMan

I've had them apart, they fasten in to the heater core through the outer box and seal with o-rings.  I ended up finding that it is not this that is leaking, its the regulator that adjusts the water coming into the core.  I'm not sure if someone makes this piece, or if it is repairable.???

Thanks.

Chatt69chgr

Are you talking about the water valve that bolts to the firewall?  It's a "U" shaped piece made of copper tubing that is attached to a steel plate that bolts to the firewall with three screws.  If you are, that part was never meant to be repaired but can be maybe one time.  You have to very very carefully pry to tabs on the back of the "U" shaped tube up and off the plate and then replace the gasket which is available from NAPA then bend them back down.  If this is what you are talking about there is a thread on here discussing it and where you can send it off to be repaired since the little rubber thing in the tube has to be replaced and it is NOT available anywhere.  Also, I heard that one of the big places in Florida that sells AC kits for the charger might have them or can repair them. 

StockMan

Thanks for your help.  Yes, this is the peice.  Can you recall what thread this was discussed in?  What is the name of the place that fixes these?  Can a person find these used, I guess they are probably all in need of repair...

StockMan

I'm going to send this unit off to get restored.  There is a used one locally, but it probably has, or will have the same problem.  129.00 plus return shipping.

Chatt69chgr

Jim is a irrasible old fellow but if you talk to him a little while he warms up.  He rebuilt my water valve a couple of years ago.  He told me that the capillary tube is not an essential part of the valve.  I don't think he can fix that part of it.  But really, all you want is a valve that works when you move the control lever on the dash.  Those valves are hard to find in junkyards.  And half the time, the tubes on the engine side of the firewall are messed up due to somebody using aircraft screw type clamps and overtightening them.  The 68 and 69 valves are the same.  The 70 valve uses vacuum to operate the valve instead of a Bowden cable.   Glad somebody found the name and address for you.

StockMan

I was hoping both the inner and outer seal could be replaced.  If I end up with a unit that doesn't leak I'll be happy.

Thanks

gasoline_24

Classic Auto Air says they restore them as well.