News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Remove the A/C on my 69 charger!!

Started by Tarzan, January 02, 2008, 05:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarzan

Hey.

Do I need to buy anything to replace the A/C braket, when I remove the a/c??

It does not work and I don`t it.

deputycrawford

Order the non A/C pullies from Manciniracing.com.  Ronnie Mancini is the man when it comes to mopars. While on the phone with them, ask if you need the non A/C alternator brackets or spacers. They will tell you everything over the phone. I pulled mine from my 383 and had no problem. I think I remember I needed to pull the tensioner pulley and A/C stuff. I remember getting the non A/C pullies to finish the job. I can't remember if I needed them to start the car or I just wanted to finish the look. Make the call to Roseville Michigan and you will have your answers. Anyone else know off hand?
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Chatt69chgr

Another source for info/parts might be 440 Source or Bouchillon Performance.

justin1987

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on January 03, 2008, 01:01:35 AM
Another source for info/parts might be 440 Source or Bouchillon Performance.

I got my pulleys through Bouchillon. They worked out great!

deputycrawford

I remember I needed shorter belts and got rid of the tensioner for the A/C. I can't remember If I needed alternator brackets. I don't remember buying the alt brackets. All you can do is take the stuff off and get some belts to try. I believe I only bought the pulleys to remove weight and complications from the front of the engine. Remove the parts and try it. Order parts as you need them.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

pete

Hey Tarzan,  Let me know if you want to off-load those A/C parts and what you want for them.  I'm trying to get my A/C system working again and could use them.  Thanks.

BRS

You will need the crank and water pump pulleys as well as a new alternator bracket for a non A/C car. The old A/C pulleys and alt brackets will not work. The power steering will be fine. Best of luck!

gtx6970

Quote from: BRS on January 10, 2008, 07:53:01 PM
You will need the crank and water pump pulleys as well as a new alternator bracket for a non A/C car. The old A/C pulleys and alt brackets will not work. The power steering will be fine. Best of luck!

what he said

chargerbr549

I am putting a big block 400 in my 72 Dart and all the big block engines I have lying around all have the AC set-ups and I want to go non AC and I am on the cheap so I did some messing around with brackets on the AC set-up and I think I will get it to work great with very little work. I am sure it all depends on what year and setup you are working with but I have a 72 440 setup out of a New Yorker that I am using. On the 4 groove crank pulley the rear two grooves are used for the AC and alt, the next one forward is the power steering and the front one is the water pump/fan groove, to convert it the easy way you don't use the rear grooves anymore and the powersteering one stays the same so now your just worried about your front groove, take the fan idler pulley off and if you notice the lower alternator bracket is behind the spacer thats behind where your idler pulley was, simply flip the spacer around and put the alternator bracket in front of the spacer, you will probably have to do some spacing with washers or longer bolts to get it right and then use a longer bolt for the upper alternator mount and make a some different spacers and if your lower bracket has a leg that goes to the passenger side motor mount just build a spacer or washers and a longer bolt then the front of your double groove pulley should pretty well line up with the front groove on the crank pulley, then you use your alternator to tighten the belt for the fan and alt. I haven't got it all completed yet but I looks like it will work with a little bit of messing around.

Kevin

justin1987

Quote from: Tarzan on March 20, 2008, 01:28:41 PM
So all I need is the crank and water pump pulleys as well as a new alternator bracket for a non A/C car???

Then I will be fine???

And I dont have to do anything with the power steering???

Im doing it next weeks so I just want to be sure.

Correct.

chargerbr549

Here's a link on lower crank pulleys,
http://www.440source.com/pulleyscrank.htm
It looks like most of the AC big blocks lower 4 groove lower pulley with interchange with each other, they changed the bolt pattern on one bolt in 72 on up but you can use a file and elongate the hole to fix that if you have to and some 100 amp setups look like they used a different lower pulley but I have swapped the smaller amp alt to the larger 100 amp setup with the correct brackets and never had an issue with the crank pulley although thats not to say you won't find an odd ball one. I pulled a 4 groove lower pulley off of a 79 Ramcharger 360 with AC and that pulley wouldn't work but I don't know if any other small block ones would work.

It would be alot easier to use the front groove of the double groove alternator pulley to catch the front belt groove on the crank pulley and fan pulley otherwise you might have to do somemore reengineering to make it work, then again it might just be easier to get the non AC set-up. One thing I do like about the AC set-up is they spin the water pump faster and that could be a plus in helping keep the engine cooler I assume in most applications.

Kevin