News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will these 17x8s with 4.25in backspacing work on a 70?

Started by JR, March 08, 2008, 09:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

http://www.customwheelsdirect.com/wheels_brand/Edelbrock_Wheels.php

I really want these wheels for my 70. I'd like to have the rears sent off to be widened to 10 inches.

But will these wheels work with 4.25 in backspacing?

Thanks!
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

0X01B8

Assuming they add the 2" inches to the inside of the wheel, then 6.25" backspacing would be very, very tight - maybe 1/4" or less to the leaf spring.  For a 10" rim 5 - 5.5" is about right.

68-70 Wheel Fitment Guide

suntech

Those wheels look very similar to the American Racing cobra 427. They are available in a bunch of different sizes and backspacing :2thumbs:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

JR

http://www.americanracing.com/browse_carroll.asp

Found them. Thanks man! I've wanted a set of these wheels for years. I like the natural machined face of the Edelbrocks, but these are very close. And they even have them in 17x9.5.

I suppose I could keep the 3.5 inches of backspacing on the front, and get 5 inches, or 4.5 inches on the rear, since it is a half inch narrower than my current 15x10s.

Does this sound right? I want them to fill up the wheel wells like my current 15inchers do.

Heres a pic, I'd like them to stay this flush.

chargerboy69

Quote from: 0X01B8 on March 08, 2008, 12:03:25 PM
Assuming they add the 2" inches to the inside of the wheel, then 6.25" backspacing would be very, very tight - maybe 1/4" or less to the leaf spring.  For a 10" rim 5 - 5.5" is about right.

68-70 Wheel Fitment Guide

I agree. You will want a 5.5" backspace. I know of people here on this board with a 5" backspace with the larger wheels (17 and 18") and had to roll in the wheel lip because of space. You might be wasting your money. Just my opinion.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

JR

Ok, so let me run this by you guys.

I should get a 17x8 with a 3.5 inch offset up front,

and a 17x9.5 with 5.5 offset in the back?

Also, is there anyway I could run a 9 inch wheel in the front? Arent some of the pro touring guys doing that?

471_Magnum

You can run a 9.5" wheel, but I think the most tire you'll fit would be a 255-45-17, and that will be tight. You'll want zero offset (about 5.25 BS) for optimum clearance.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

suntech

JR
I am pretty sure Mike has 9 ´s up front on MR. Angry.
I was thinking about the exact same wheels as you for a while, with 9,5 front, and 11 rear.
What i thought would work, was 9,5, with 5,5 backspace front, and 11, with 5,5 rear. But Check , to be sure.
When i ended up buying the XV Level II front/ rear suspention and brakes, i had to change that idea. With that setup i will need 18 dia. and a backspacing on the frontwheels that is hard to find on the shelwe. (9,5x18, with 7 backspace)
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

JR

I'll see if I can find Mr. Angry's specs.

Thanks for the help guys!

chargerboy69

Quote from: JR on March 09, 2008, 10:13:54 AM
Ok, so let me run this by you guys.

I should get a 17x8 with a 3.5 inch offset up front,

and a 17x9.5 with 5.5 offset in the back?

Also, is there anyway I could run a 9 inch wheel in the front? Arent some of the pro touring guys doing that?

Yes Mike is running the 17X9 up front. I can not remember his backspace on the front though. I would guess a 4.75" or 4.5".

I run a 17X8 with a 4.5 backspace and a 245 45 17 tire. In very hard turns you might hear a rub or two, but nothing big. A small price to pay to look good.  :D

Mike runs a 18X10 wheel in the rear with, if I remember correctly a 5" backspace. Now he did roll his wheel lip up because of rubbing.

I run a 18X10 with a 5.5" backspace with no issues.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford