News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SEMS Vinyl Dye Question:

Started by Captain D, March 01, 2008, 09:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi,

I can't wait til' spring to resume working on the Charger. But, what I was wondering is this:

I know that when using the SEM's vinyl dyes, it's good to use the SEM's Vinyl Prep and the SEM's Sand-free (Primer) before the color-coat on 40 year vinyl parts in order for the item to be cleaned properly and for it to adhere best.

However, what about brand new vinyl items? Is it necessary to use the "Vinyl Prep" in order to clean the vinyl? For instance, I have brand new vinyl door panels. I'll promote adhesion by using the Sand-Free (primer) and of course, the color-coat to dye them. But, my main question is to see if it is necessary to clean brand-new vinyl items that aren't "dirty." I suppose it wouldn't hurt, but I just thought that I would write just to make sure...

Thanks for any responses,
Aaron

Chatt69chgr

I would never assume that anything is clean.  Remember, just handling a part gets grease from your fingers on the item.  Most definitely clean first.  Also, I think I read somewhere recently that you should use light coats and let dry for a while and then recoat instead of one heavy coat.  I don't know what the best time to wait between coats is.  Probably depends on air temp and humidity.  Would think maybe 10 or 15 minutes under normal ambient conditions. 

JimShine

Also, new items will often have an undetectable amount of mold release agent on them that will keep the paint from sticking.

Captain D

"Thank you" gents for the replies! I just wanted to know so that I can do a good job, and I'm glad that I double-checked  ;).

Thanks again!
Aaron