News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Install Champion plugs in new Stealth Heads - are they kidding?

Started by Mfr426, February 12, 2008, 03:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hey all, I was looking at 440 source's web site and see that the new heads require a 3/4" longer plug because of the thicker head base.  Here is the Champion set that they are recommending:  http://www.440source.com/heads.htm

I really do not like Champion plugs and wonder if anyone knows of an equivalent in NGK or some other manufacturer? I just cant bring myself to installing Champion plugs in any car. When I think of Champion plugs I picture my Briggs & Stratton 3.5hp engine from my minbike when I was a little rug rat...  :hah:

Thanks for any thoughts!

Mike R in Reading PA

John_Kunkel

They're Champion RC12LYC, same plug that's used in the Viper so just look up the Viper application in your favored brand.

Autolite 985 or NGK 7552 is the same.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

suntech

Hi Mike!
Totally agree with you!!
Been racing boats for 25+ years, and Champion has never done me any favors :shruggy:
That is a very hot plug, equals to BPR 5 ES in NGK, so this is a completly "nothing special" plug.
I would go with a NGK or Denso, in iridium, in one step colder, 6 in ngk, and 18( i think) in Denso.
Go to www.sparkplugs.com, there you can cross reference and play around. Been helpful to me a bunch of times, but there is limitid options in that heat range.
Rolf in Norway
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Mfr426

Thank you gentlemen! Rolf, who would have thougth that halfway around the world and your car would be in my backyard?  :yesnod:

firefighter3931

The NGK 6-series heat range is what you want with a 10.5:1 pump gas street build.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

suntech

QuoteRolf, who would have thougth that halfway around the world and your car would be in my backyard? 

Hehe that is pretty cool Mike!! looking forward to hook up with you when i come over to ship the car and parts.
Ron says 6´es from NGK is the range you want. Try to find them with platinium or iridium center electrode, and also projected nose. I have found them to be esier to dial in the carbs with, and doesnt clog up that easy as normal ones.
Talk later
Rolf
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

OttawaCharger

The Champion noted is the stock plug for a 2000 RAM with a 5.9 (360) in it as well as the V10 Viper :)
CHAMPION RC12LYC is equivalent to NGK ZFR5F according to http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/championobly-z12.htm

Here is the breakdown for the Champion part number:

R= 14mm Thread, Gasket seat
C= 3/4 Inch Reach
12= Heat Range
E or LY= Projected Tip
C= Copper Core
CC= Double Copper (Copper core AND Copper Cored Ground Electrode)
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

suntech

I think i would have tryed IZFR 6 J , from NGK, or IK 16 from Denso  :2thumbs:

mally69

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 12, 2008, 08:48:53 PM
The NGK 6-series heat range is what you want with a 10.5:1 pump gas street build.  :Twocents:

Ron

I have never bought an NGK plug for my car,only dirtbuies in my younger days. But if i was to go to the auto parts store what should I say to them in order to get the NGK plug that your referring to?  Just NGK 6- series?

suntech

QuoteBut if i was to go to the auto parts store what should I say to them in order to get the NGK plug that your referring to?  Just NGK 6- series?

The plugs i mentioned in post above has correct seat, tread, length and heatrange. They are also iwith iridium center electrode. Very nice ones!!
When Ron says heatrange 6 in NGK is what you want, i would rely on that. The plugs i mentioned are my choice, and are same thing, in 2 different brands (my favorites), but the good old BPR 6 ES would work to, or EV  in the end, that is the platinium senter electrode.  :2thumbs:
If this is confusing, and to big a variaty, tell them you want my favorite: Denso IK 16, and if they need to special order.................so be!!  :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Quote from: suntech on February 13, 2008, 03:02:46 PM
QuoteBut if i was to go to the auto parts store what should I say to them in order to get the NGK plug that your referring to?  Just NGK 6- series?

The plugs i mentioned in post above has correct seat, tread, length and heatrange. They are also iwith iridium center electrode. Very nice ones!!
When Ron says heatrange 6 in NGK is what you want, i would rely on that. The plugs i mentioned are my choice, and are same thing, in 2 different brands (my favorites), but the good old BPR 6 ES would work to, or EV  in the end, that is the platinium senter electrode.  :2thumbs:
If this is confusing, and to big a variaty, tell them you want my favorite: Denso IK 16, and if they need to special order.................so be!!  :2thumbs:

Mally, which heads are you asking about ? The EZ's or the Stealths ?

In either case a "6" series plug is the right choice in terms of heat range....the 5's are too hot and the 7's are too cold. Too hot of a plug can lead to detonation and too cold of a plug will foul.

You want to run the coolest plug that won't foul.... in a perfect world. As the compression ratio increases the heat range should get colder for this very reason.  :yesnod:

My E-Heads use a bcp-6es NGK plug and that motor is a 10.5:1 pump gas build.

On factory iron heads the NGK XR5's are an excellent plug for pump gas compression ratios from my experience.

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mfr426

Ron, are you saying that for the new stealth heads (that are on my 512 stroker) the NGK plugs bcp-6es would be the best bet (if I like NGK)?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mfr426 on February 13, 2008, 04:06:09 PM
Ron, are you saying that for the new stealth heads (that are on my 512 stroker) the NGK plugs bcp-6es would be the best bet (if I like NGK)?

Mike, the BCP-6ES is the E-head plug which (I believe) is different from the stealth head....based on the recommended Champion plug.  :scratchchin:

Using the "Stealth" Champion plug as a reference the NGK ZFR6F-11 would be the plug of choice....that's a 6 series heat range.  :2thumbs:

Ron

mally69

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 13, 2008, 03:51:29 PM
Quote from: suntech on February 13, 2008, 03:02:46 PM

Mally, which heads are you asking about ? The EZ's or the Stealths ?

In either case a "6" series plug is the right choice in terms of heat range....the 5's are too hot and the 7's are too cold. Too hot of a plug can lead to detonation and too cold of a plug will foul.

You want to run the coolest plug that won't foul.... in a perfect world. As the compression ratio increases the heat range should get colder for this very reason.  :yesnod:

My E-Heads use a bcp-6es NGK plug and that motor is a 10.5:1 pump gas build.

On factory iron heads the NGK XR5's are an excellent plug for pump gas compression ratios from my experience.

Ron

Yes, I meant the stealths. The  ZFR6F-11 for the 440 with the stealths.   :2thumbs: Thanks..
Now  would I use the same plug with the EZ's ??  Meaning length wise..

Chatt69chgr

I notice that NGK Plug, ie, the ZFR6F-11 is the V-power plug.  I think it's copper.  NGK also sells an iridium plug which is the ZFR6FIX-11.  Which would be better?

suntech

Iridium is better, no doubt about that. Stronger spark on less voltage.

mally69

Ok I went into NAPA yesterday and tried to get the  NGK ZFR6F-11  they didnt know what I was talking about. So, I said that these heads use the same plugs as the viper so I got these NGK's in the 6 heat range ZFR6FGP Platinum, Are these the correct plugs for the stealth heads :shruggy:

Mfr426

I ordered the NGK ZFR6FIX-11 plugs yesterday at Advance. They "do" exist and had them in a different store. I will pick up today (or tomorrow). They were about $7 Ea though.  :eek2:

firefighter3931

Quote from: mally69 on February 20, 2008, 11:02:01 AM
Ok I went into NAPA yesterday and tried to get the  NGK ZFR6F-11  they didnt know what I was talking about. So, I said that these heads use the same plugs as the viper so I got these NGK's in the 6 heat range ZFR6FGP Platinum, Are these the correct plugs for the stealth heads :shruggy:

Ok, try this....just googled that plug number and voila ! Good deal....4 plugs for $11.00  :2thumbs:

http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/product1589.html

Your local parts house might not recognize the part number so try asking for the "stock" number which is 4291 and see what happens. These are the V-Power plugs which have allways worked fine for me.   ;)

That wasn't too hard was it  :nana:  :lol:

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mfr426 on February 20, 2008, 02:45:28 PM
I ordered the NGK ZFR6FIX-11 plugs yesterday at Advance. They "do" exist and had them in a different store. I will pick up today (or tomorrow). They were about $7 Ea though.  :eek2:

Mike, see the post above....the V-power plugs are 1/3 the price.  ;)

Ron

Troy

I had to use the stock number as well since none of the parts guys had a clue when I told them the exact plug that I wanted.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mfr426

Ron, the "V" is a good (enough) plug for this stroker setup? That's quite a price difference?

MIke

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mfr426 on February 20, 2008, 04:17:41 PM
Ron, the "V" is a good (enough) plug for this stroker setup? That's quite a price difference?

MIke

The V plugs will be fine in a stroker ;

E-head 470ci 650hp race build, 12:1 compression running high 9's using the V-series NGK's.

You'll be fine Mike.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Mfr426

OK..I'll be getting the other plugs. Thanks Ron! I can use the saved cash to get my balancer...

:2thumbs: