News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Movie: Wal-Mart: The high cost of low prices

Started by notstock71, February 06, 2008, 05:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeattleCharger

27,000 million is a christmas bonus for a lot of CEO's in america,   maybe ad that to 100,000 million,      the walmart CEO
   is sacrificing, like his low-wage/no benifits/ no union  store workers,    hats off to him for setting an example   ::)

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Guns N Rotors

CEO's don't bother me.

CEO's don't tell me what kind of toilet I must have or how many bullets my gun
may or may not have, or what kind of light bulb I have to screw in my lamp.

Nope, I really don't have any problems with CEO's.
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighting aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be."

Silver R/T

I dont see why people complain but yet most of them go there every night to shop. Guess what if you dont like it, stop going there. I never shop there and tell all of my family and friends not to. Ill buy stuff off of ebay before I go to wally's
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

resq302

Honestly, is there any difference between Target, Wal-mart, or any other large department store?  Granted, the stuff I have gotten from Wal-mart that is their stuff absolutely sucks in quality and breaks almost instantaneously the second time I use it.  There is some generic stuff that they sell that is significatnly cheaper than what the mom and pop stores offer, such as Krylon paint.  I can get it almost $3 cheaper at Wal-mart compared to the local hardware store.  You also have to consider the fact that with my family, money is tight right now with having a one year old, so I have to cut costs somewhere.  Do I still prefer to deal with the local hardware stores?  Absolutely!  They know what they are talking about and if they do not have it, they will search the item down for you and get it.

I don't know if anyone else has heard this story or not but here it goes.... Wal-mart was trying to get the lawnmower company Snapper to sell their products in Wal-mart.  Wal-mart wanted it to be a cheaper price so they told Snapper to make a cheaper product which meant they would have to make a whole new model specific for Wal-mart.  Pretty much the head person of Snapper told Wal-mart in the meeting while he walked out was that Snapper's name is known for QUALITY and their long lasting landscape equipment.  If Wal-mart wanted an inferior product, then you will NEVER see a Snapper being sold in Wal-mart.  Wal-marts suggestion was for Snapper to sell it under a different name.  For the most part, I have found that if you buy cheap, that is exactly what you get.... a cheaply made product that will last.  I can relate to the Snapper discussion as my first lawnmower I had when I first started out about 20 years ago doing lawn mowing, was a USED Snapper.  It was a 3.5 HP Briggs and Stratton engine and it never needed and fixng aside from regular tune ups like we do on our own cars.  I had that mower for another 10 years before I decided to buy a new one for $400 only because I wanted to upgrade to a stronger motor, now a 5 HP.  I sold the used Snapper to a friend of mine for $100 and to this day it is still running strong.  Mind you this is probably a 30 year old if not older walk behind push mower.  Needless to say, I am sold on the Snapper name. :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

hemihead

I buy America whenever possible . You will never see me drive a foreign built or designed car nor rave about how great they are . One thing that you wrote caught my eye resq302 . When you said " when you buy cheap  - that's what you get ... " The same can be said about employing people . You hear many employers complain about the quality of their employees . But look what they pay them . Sure they could kill themselves for the company but what is their reward ? A $0.10 raise an hour after a year that won't cover the cost of living . Pride in their work ? They can get that in a hobby at home . And pride doesn't feed , clothe , or keep a family healthy . I guess it is easy when you run a company and have money and benefits and a cozy life , to treat people with a lack of respect and look at them like livestock . Walmart does this I've heard but like I said , they aren't the only ones .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

resq302

For instance, take Mike from B/E & A Body..... his prices may be higher than other repro places but his quality and detail that go into the parts justify the extra cost.  At least it does for me.  I would gladly spend a few extra dollars to know that the part will be correct and last versus throwing away a $50 lawnmower every year because something stupid breaks on it that can not be repaired or replaced.

Just my  :Twocents:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

TK73

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

- Mark Twain
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Charger_Fan

Quote from: TK73 on February 09, 2008, 11:37:15 AM

- Mark Twain
I thought Troy wrote that.  :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

TK73

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on February 09, 2008, 11:53:36 AM
Quote from: TK73 on February 09, 2008, 11:37:15 AM

- Mark Twain
I thought Troy wrote that.  :icon_smile_tongue:

If he did he's WAY older than we thought...

jlb1pi

Hey everybody :wave:

...for those who might be interested,
here's the link for the Amazon page selling the DVD...not so much to push the sales of it,
but to "push" the 3rd Review of it (about 1/2 way down the page) by "Schtinky-Schtinky". or
some such name...It--for the most part--pretty much reflects my views on the Wal-Mart issue:

http://www.amazon.com/Wal-Mart-High-Cost-Low-Price/dp/B000BTH4K4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1203237173&sr=8-1

[I would have just copied and pasted his review statement, but didn't want to get into copyright enfringement,
or other litigation issues...I need all my money for restoring the Charger!]

:smilielol:

~Jer~

jlb1pi

....AND, the link for The Man Who Said No To Walmart....Snapper Lawnmower's refusal story:

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/102/open_snapper.html

Good reading!
~Jer~

Charged

TK73

dkn1997

I really have no opinion on walmart one way or the other. but I can totally buy the logic of NOT buying a lawnmower at that store.  it's the kind of thing that you really do need someone who knows the product after the sale.  I'm ok with cars, but have never been good with mowers and I would need a place who could service it and repair it when necessary.  At least lowes, sears, home depot will attempt to fix it for you if it breaks
RECHRGED

Troy

So, what's the consensus on buying Mopar brand filters and fluids at Wal-Mart? They're much cheaper than the dealer so is Wal-Mart strong-arming the manufacturer to get a rock bottom price or are the dealers screwing the customers with a abnormally high markup? This is a case of an identical product so the whole "Chinese junk" argument doesn't apply.

Personally, I avoid Wal-Mart but only because there are other stores that are more convenient to me with similar prices. When I lived in Utah it was the only place within 45 minutes to buy most things so that's where I shopped. In a resort town comprised of ski resorts, restaurants, and souvenir shops just about the only non-seasonal jobs with benefits were at Wal-Mart. The cost of living was extremely high and most seasonal jobs didn't pay much so there weren't too many Wal-Mart haters.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

resq302

Troy, I agree that Wal-Mart does have some items that are not Chinese Junk. They do sell items such as Scotch Painters Tape (the blue one) and spray paint by Krylon.  They also sell Motorcraft oil, Castrol GTX oil, and lots of other name stuff that is cheaper but you have to know your prices.  Again, you have to know what you are buying before you buy it.  I bought a shelfing unit that collapsed the night I put it up.  The metal was too thin and gave way.  They said it would hold 300 lbs, I don't think we had 100 lbs on it.

Do they have name brand products?  Yes.  I am not arguing that.  But they do also sell a bunch of CRAP!
Brian

dkn1997

Quote from: Troy on February 17, 2008, 03:36:40 PM
So, what's the consensus on buying Mopar brand filters and fluids at Wal-Mart? They're much cheaper than the dealer so is Wal-Mart strong-arming the manufacturer to get a rock bottom price or are the dealers screwing the customers with a abnormally high markup? This is a case of an identical product so the whole "Chinese junk" argument doesn't apply.

Personally, I avoid Wal-Mart but only because there are other stores that are more convenient to me with similar prices. When I lived in Utah it was the only place within 45 minutes to buy most things so that's where I shopped. In a resort town comprised of ski resorts, restaurants, and souvenir shops just about the only non-seasonal jobs with benefits were at Wal-Mart. The cost of living was extremely high and most seasonal jobs didn't pay much so there weren't too many Wal-Mart haters.

Troy

interesting situation with the filters/oil, etc.  Some of the guilt people feel buying from walmart is that they are helping put small businesses out of business.  But with Mopar brand items, you theoretically would be helping screw the dealer.....the same dealer who would sell your mothers shoes for a dime, lie to you, and rip you off in 2 seconds flat...so maybe not so much guilt there. but you would still have to feel like you were supporting a store that allegedly pays slave wages to people...although I thought that people had choices and if walmart paid that bad, people would find better paying work elsewhere.  but I have always had some skills, so I have never been a situation where walmart type work was all that was available to me. so easy for me to say I suppose.
RECHRGED

charger_mike75

Maybe not everything at wal-mart is cheap junk, but you could fit all of the "made in u.s.a." items in a hand basket. I think every area is different when it comes to wal-mart as far as whether or not it's worth it to shop there or not. As far as buying castrol I could save the 50 cents in gas and buy it at the parts store and get a Wix filter as well. The wal-mart store in my neck of the woods is filled with more expensive chinese junk and even some of the name brand stuff is made in china. I don't buy anything but food from there, I just go next door for other stuff I need. If there was a K-mart I'd shop there instead. As far as the guy from snapper, I think he made a smart move. Personally I build up my own mowers from the ashes of others, gives me more money for the charger.   :D

sick dawg

derailed

Daytona Guy

Quote from: hemihead on February 08, 2008, 12:48:06 AM
Don't buy at Walmart but run to the Rice dealer and buy the newest Jap car on the market . Makes sense to me .
And lots of CEO's make $27 mil or more a year and offer no benefits or wouldn't if they could get away with it . So why not boycott all those companies also ? The only people that lose by boycotting a product is the Blue collar worker .You know they always cut from the bottom first .  So let's all be Americans with backbone  and put more ( poor ) people out of work .
Would you accept  , if say , your Charger paint or interior color was " a skosh " off ?
If we want to improve anything , we can all stop being so greedy . Someday we will wonder why or kids or grandkids are pushing brooms with a college degree. That will be because everyone wants to keep everything for themselves.

Well said Hemihead - This "US American" who has "maps" "such as" ones sold in Walmart that employs "such as" friends of mine. This is America so I will be a "US American" and not like "such as the Iraq", who didn't let people have a Walmart until we freed them from the tyranny of Hussein. Now "The Iraq" can have "maps" because they need them according to Miss Teen USA South Carolina; they my even get a Walmart that will employ people so they can afford to buy maps "such as". 

Walmart does not hurt the economy. We are a free market system/economy – if the people buy it and work it then it succeeds. I know it hurts and sucks in some circumstances, but our cars are made my robots and the people in Detroit did not like it at first, but you have to stay competitive or you end up in a hard landing (Out of Business) instead of a soft one landing (Restructure) – you have to adapt.

I shop at Walmart because I am a "US American" and I stand for Freedom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALIARHHLII

Daytona Guy

Quote from: hemihead on February 08, 2008, 04:55:31 PM
Same old answers but no answer about the greed of some .

Got a question... How do we know what is greed?  - Is that not a "motive of the heart"? How can we know someone's motives? I know it is an easy word to throw around at "Corporate America" and very hard to pin down and define. Anyone can be accused of this whether it is corporate America or the young aggressive Insurance Salesman.

If someone is greedy – there is no stopping them unless they break the law, or the free market system turns on them and deems their product unnecessary.

Just like this criminal (Kevin Trudeau) who sells his snake oil book through infomercials. As long as there are people who will buy this guys book he will keep writing them. As much as I do not like it, he is free to document anything he wants and sell it is a resource and never be liable. Greed? Who knows. Mr. Kevin came up with this idea to make money while in prison in the 90's for credit card fraud.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: jlb1pi on February 16, 2008, 11:10:54 PM
....AND, the link for The Man Who Said No To Walmart....Snapper Lawnmower's refusal story:

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/102/open_snapper.html

Good reading!
~Jer~

Excellent!   :2thumbs:

If only the chiefs at Rubbermaid and other companies had balls like that.

Count me in as a Walmart hater.     Low prices for some crap end up costing the country more in the long run. 

I don't have a problem with the original version of Walmart as Sam Walton saw it...   but what it became since then is a different matter.

And I wish I could say I lived a walmart free lifestyle but I can't as we occassionally buy stuff at Sam's club - mostly staple food. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.