News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Changing Rear Leafs Springs

Started by ChargerRob, February 18, 2008, 10:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerRob

How hard is it to change the rear leaf springs? Where is a good place to buy them.
I'm thinking about doing it myself. Any info is appreciated.  :cheers:

Thanks, Robert
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

The70RT

Pretty easy. If your U bolts are pretty rusty it will be easier to cut them off and get new ones. I would spray all the connections with liquid wrench, PB Blaster, WD-40 or whatever a day before dissasembly. If you are doing it on jack stands just put a floor jack under the jug before any dissasembly. I would save the U bolts for last after you roll it out from the car if your gonna cut them. If you save the U bolts then maybe remove them first but be carefull because those are usually tight all the way off and you can jerk the car off the stands....so try an impact or heat them up first. Be sure to change out your upper rear bushings as well. I think Direct Connection is about as cheap and as good anyone  :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Musicman

Like anything else... sometimes the hardest part is getting the old stuff out. Assembly is a piece of cake really... strictly nut & bolt work. Just make sure you have everything you need before you start. Other than that, it's a question of how you are going to support the vehicle... put on a lift?.. in your driveway on stands? In either case, you will need the ability to safely control & release spring tension during assembly and disassembly. This makes things a lot simpler, and a lot safer.

There are a number of places to buy suspension components... I used Mancini Racing myself, back when I did mine. In any case, always call ahead and talk to a human before ordering anything. That way you will not end up buying something you didn't need, or something that was already supplied as part of a kit with something else. Make sure you get everything new from A to Z... including the hanger brackets; don't waste time trying to salvage old stuff.