News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

difference between semi-metallic and ceramic brake pads?

Started by resq302, February 17, 2008, 12:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

I am about to replace the front and rear brakes on my wifes car.  Which is better for improved stopping?  Ceramic or semi metallic brake pads?  I know the ceramic does not give off the amount of black dust that the semi metallics do but I am not concerned about that.  I am mainly concerned about the stopping performance.  I am going to be going with Raybestos PG pads but do not know which material would be better.  If it matters, this will be on my wifes 2005 Ford Explorer Limited 4x4.  According to Rockauto.com and Partsamerica.com, the ceramic were O.E. from Ford.  One thing to note, the price of everything for the brakes, pads and rotors were A LOT cheaper at Rockauto.com.  $215 at rockauto vs. $422 at Partsamerica.

Any help and input would be greatly appreciated.

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

gtx6970

ceramics will be less fade and less dust , pads will last longer but harder on the rotors
semi-metallics will be more dust but but much easier on the rotors

I'm not a big fan of ceramic pads myself, I'd rather deal with the dust and have my rotors  last longer