News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gauges

Started by erlendch, September 12, 2013, 08:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erlendch

I have a 69 charger with after market gauges mounted under the dashbaord that looks shit. My garage tells me that the original ones are not reliable enough, so even if they can make it work I still should keep the aftermarket ones, which I don't want. :(

Can I get aftermarket reliable gauges that fits in the original dash and look stock?

Or will these do the job? -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-1968-70-DODGE-CHARGER-RESTORED-RALLYE-GAUGE-CLUSTER-W-TIC-TOC-TACH-B-BODY-/310705883977?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4857838b49&vxp=mtr - Since these are just refubrished original ones I wonder if they would still be inaccurate, guess there is a reason 90% of all mopar owners change the gauges to aftermarket??

Thx,
Erlend

MaximRecoil

The original gauges are plenty reliable; at least the oil pressure, fuel, and temperature gauges are. They are so incredibly simple that it is next to impossible for them to fail unless you send too much voltage to them for too long of a time. In this case, the reliability issue isn't with the gauges themselves, but with the stock mechanical points-type voltage regulator that limits voltage to those 3 gauges to a nominal 5 volts. The points can stick, sending a constant 12 volts to the gauges, which will burn out the nichrome wire in the gauges, resulting in dead gauges.

That issue can be solved by replacing the factory voltage regulator for the gauges with a solid-state regulator. You can build one with Radio Shack parts for a few dollars, or you can buy a drop-in replacement from RTE for $50. The RTE one is better, as it mimics the behavior of the stock regulator (quickly gets the needles to their proper reading after you start the car), while the linear 5 volt regulator chip that you use when you build it yourself takes a minute or two to get the needles to their proper reading after you start the car.

I don't know of any aftermarket universal gauges that are a drop-in fit, though there may be some aftermarket reproductions of the original gauges.

The gauges contained in the instrument cluster in your eBay link are rebuilt and refurbished originals. Rebuilt simply means replacing the nichrome wire inside and calibrating it. Refurbished means to reface (usually with a sticker) and repaint the needles.

The original gauges aren't NASA-level accurate, but they are plenty accurate enough for the purpose, and they are plenty reliable. If yours are way off in terms of accuracy, then they have been over-volted enough times in the past to burn the insulation partially or completely off the nichrome wire, which changes how much heat can get from the wire to the bimetallic strip for a given voltage input, which throws off the accuracy. The only solution is to replace the nichrome wire in each gauge that is off, and calibrate.

myk

Check out this thread, 'OP:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19711.0.html

And try to tell me that the 4th post down doesn't absolutely blow you away with how good it looks.  The stock gauges can be made to work but I like the new stuf...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

moparstuart

or you could add this  

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/parts/interior/mopp_0804_parts_department_just_dashes/photo_01.html

these dash pads look good   but are expensive  
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Dino

Quote from: myk on September 12, 2013, 09:17:56 PM
Check out this thread, 'OP:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19711.0.html

And try to tell me that the 4th post down doesn't absolutely blow you away with how good it looks.  The stock gauges can be made to work but I like the new stuf...

I remember that thread and although it's very well done, I don't like it.  I can't stand aftermarket gauges in a 2nd gen, the stock ones look way too cool.  That's just my opinion of course.

The stock gauges can be made to be reliable but if you really want to be safe, why not hide a few additional aftermarket gauges somewhere like in the console or glove box?  That way you can always double check.  Nobody says you need to have them in your face.  If the garage that told you this is the same that gave you those quotes then do yourself a humongous favor and drop them like a stone.

EDIT:  The gauges in the ebay ad are bone stock, refaced with decals.  You can do this job yourself for about $50.  You CAN buy aftermarket stock gauges which can handle more amps but still the same design.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

I agree with Maxim, the stock guages can be just fine.

RAC95054

Quote from: Ghoste on September 13, 2013, 03:16:48 PM

:iagree:

I also commented on this in the original thread you had about your car purchase
Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

erlendch

RAC95054: Your car looks amazing. Is there a post with more pics and info?

bull

They work as good as you make them work.

VegasCharger

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
Stock gauges are the only way to go. They look nice and they belong there.
I can't stand after market gauges in your face gauges. The extra large hose clamp steering column tach. Oh yea that's a winner. A-pillar gauges  :smilielol:
People destroying consoles with their gauges mounted to them.  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

If I had to get new gauges they would be repos of the originals. But mine are fine and guess what? I'm going to use them including the original ammeter.

myk

True story: I made sure to pick the largest, shiniest, most obvious worm clamp to mount my tach to the steering column, just because I know how it annoys some of you guys... ;)

'OP don't let the opinion-strutting stop you from what YOU want to do-it's your car so feel free to do what you want to with it; we'll help and guide you either way.  Personally, if you want to keep the look but get some reliability then I say get 'repro gauges and drop them into your dash cluster...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

RAC95054

Quote from: RAC95054 on September 13, 2013, 03:59:49 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on September 13, 2013, 03:16:48 PM

:iagree:

I also commented on this in the original thread you had about your car purchase

Thank you!  I can't claim to have done all the work myself, but I have put a lot of effort into making it what it is.  I have more pics posted on the site, but if you want other pictures, you can PM me.  I hope your resto goes well.  And don't be afraid to dig in!  Lots of people here are willing to offer great insight, experience and recommendations.
Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

MaximRecoil

Quote from: myk on September 14, 2013, 04:44:10 AM
Personally, if you want to keep the look but get some reliability then I say get 'repro gauges and drop them into your dash cluster...

I doubt there is any way to beat the reliability of the factory gauges. They are so incredibly simple inside that there is nothing that can fail as long as you don't over-volt them. With the stock mechanical regulator, over-volting can happen if the regulator malfunctions, but with the RTE regulator, it can't (it has built-in overvoltage protection so that it will shut off rather than frying the nichrome wire in the gauge).

If the reproduction gauges are true reproductions, inside and out, then they should be as reliable as the stock ones of course. If they are only reproductions on the outside, but electronic on the inside, they won't be as reliable as the stock ones, though they may be more accurate; though that extra bit of accuracy is useless on a reproduction gauge, because the markings on the face aren't precise enough for you to take advantage of it anyway, even if you did care to know that your water temperature is 197.48 degrees rather than 195.

The main problem with factory gauges out there today, after ~45 years of usage with a stock regulator, there is a pretty good chance they have been overvolted plenty of times in the past, and if they aren't completely dead, they are likely to be inaccurate. Replace the nichrome wire, calibrate, and install an RTE or other type of solid-state regulator, and they will be back in business again, for longer than any of us will be alive.

myk

Agreed, but I'm proceeding on the notion that his gauges are cosmetically unacceptable.  If I were in his position I'd rather just get repro's instead of trying to polish up and/or recalibrate his original pieces. 

I didn't know about that RTE regulator-that may have to tide me over until I can butcher up my dash for the custom job...

MaximRecoil

Quote from: myk on September 16, 2013, 10:29:10 PM
Agreed, but I'm proceeding on the notion that his gauges are cosmetically unacceptable.

Yeah, like my gauges:

But then, my whole car is cosmetically unacceptable, so I'm not worried about it. The only one that's a problem is my speedometer; the numbers are so faded/darkened that I can hardly see them. I might reface that one, not for cosmetic reason, but just so I can easily see what speed I'm going.

That temperature gauge in the picture was completely dead, and had been since before I owned it. I took that picture after fixing it by replacing the burned-out nichrome wire inside. It isn't a difficult job, but it is tedious/fiddly, because you have to wrap that thin wire forty-eleven times around the bimetallic strip, which is in a tight area. I don't expect any problems with it in the future, since I have a solid state regulator in there.

Dino

It's actually a fun job to reface the gauges.  Cheap as well.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Nickrc3

Quote from: Dino on September 17, 2013, 04:29:49 AM
+1 Yes, did both cars and definitely a DIY project. Takes time, but well worth the results.

1974dodgecharger

i have fcked up 2 guage sets...you did a awesome job.
Quote from: Nickrc3 on September 21, 2013, 09:58:23 AM
Quote from: Dino on September 17, 2013, 04:29:49 AM
+1 Yes, did both cars and definitely a DIY project. Takes time, but well worth the results.