News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Took Some Parts To The Chromer Friday. . . .Ouch!

Started by B5 Charger, October 09, 2005, 10:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B5 Charger

Took my back bumper, bumperettes and my automatic shifter shaft to the chromer on Friday.  $285.00 for the bumper, $120.00 for the bumperettes and $35.00 for the shifter.  Total bill will be $440.00. . . .Ouch! :o :'(  I'm glad there isn't a lot of chrome on the '69 or I would never get this thing done.

yellowcuda

You do know that Goodmark and Year One sell them for $300.00 right?  We used them on both of our '69s and they fit perfect and look original.  I guess if your original bumpers are perfect except chrome that would be a good reason to keep them, but ouch on the price! :icon_smile_blackeye:

Shelley
Loganville, GA
'72 Cuda
69 Charger 426 Hemi (Jonathan's)
69 Charger 540 Blown Hemi (Jonathan's)
68 Charger (was gonna be DC.com car. Now it will be renamed)

B5 Charger

I know about the repop bumpers but I wanted to keep my originals.  They were in good shape other than the chrome so I decided just to get them redone.

CB

tell me about high prices.
To recrome both my original bumpers I have to dig up $500-550. Then I have some small parts to get rechromed like door handles, mirrors, gascap and some trim. Double ouch  :icon_smile_blackeye: :icon_smile_blackeye:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

moparguy01

Try having a third gen and getting those bumpers rechromed. they wanted close to 400 a bumper for them. Guess what? im painting mine body color.

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

moparguy01

yea, most chromers i know charge by the sq inch. well look at a 3rd gen bumper.....HUGE!

Mopar440+6

If I remember correctly my grandad spent close to 10K in chrome for his '41 Plymouth Convertible and that was about 10 years ago. This isn't his car but it gives you an idea...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

Silver R/T

man you got screwed theres guy that sells them $500 deal for front and rear with bumperets I believe, check ebay he always has some for sale
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

Quote from: Silver R/T on October 09, 2005, 03:01:20 PM
man you got screwed theres guy that sells them $500 deal for front and rear with bumperets I believe, check ebay he always has some for sale

Ever try reading?

Quote from: B5 Charger on October 09, 2005, 11:11:38 AM
I know about the repop bumpers but I wanted to keep my originals.  They were in good shape other than the chrome so I decided just to get them redone.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

694spdRT

Actually I don't think those prices are too bad from what I have seen in my area.

I am going to have $285 in my hurst shifter and vinyl top checkmark mouldings when they get done.

Same place wanted $1000 for my bumpers and bumperettes...I passed and went the repo route.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Ghoste

I din't think the prices were that out of line either.  You want to talk about getting all the bright work redone on a Charger, try a 1st gen!  :eek:

bluesfool

QuoteYou want to talk about getting all the bright work redone on a Charger, try a 1st gen!

Tell me about it! I still have plenty I want to rechrome but I had to quit because I ran out of money.

BigBlockSam

i need a good chromer that can do pot metal. but i want it to come out perfect. last time i paid alot and you could see some marks.
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

BrianShaughnessy

I got some vent window frames to send out soon...  I guess the first step would be to figure out where to send them eh?

Yeah... the goodmark bumpers are the way to go for a 2nd gen  :thumbs:    To lay that new repro next to my old one just pointed out how crappy my old one was.  It had been redone previously by some Hanlon place down by VA I believe. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

cudaken

Hum, now you all know why by POS Charger front bumper is painted. ;D

Ken
I am back

Roth68rt

You should check out musclecarbumpers.com, only $225.00 exchange with free shipping.  I talked to him at the all Mopar drags at Sacramento last year and he said he would replate your bumpers instead of exchange but would take a little longer.

Mopar440+6

Quote from: BigBlockSam on October 09, 2005, 06:40:38 PM
i need a good chromer that can do pot metal. but i want it to come out perfect. last time i paid alot and you could see some marks.

Sam you've got mail...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

jaak

285 to rechrome an original bumper is a fair price, I was quoted 475 EACH for my front/rear originals.  I'm sure I'll use the goodmark repops

dkn1997

is there such a thing as repop bumpers?  i thought they were all rechromed originals.  I bought mine from bumper boyz 6 years ago and they were pretty adament about getting my old ones back.  even then, it was cheaper than having them chromed locally (long island ny, epa, enough said)  I don't recall them being that cheap, tough.  even then it was at least 4-450 for the set without bumperettes. 

I left my bumperettes off, liked the look better
RECHRGED

jaak

Quote from: dkn1997 on October 10, 2005, 06:38:43 PM
is there such a thing as repop bumpers? i thought they were all rechromed originals. I bought mine from bumper boyz 6 years ago and they were pretty adament about getting my old ones back. even then, it was cheaper than having them chromed locally (long island ny, epa, enough said) I don't recall them being that cheap, tough. even then it was at least 4-450 for the set without bumperettes.

I left my bumperettes off, liked the look better

Yeah goodmark started repop'n them about 2 yrs ago or so. They come with bumper gaurds included, the going price is around 280 each, give or take a few bucks depending on vendor.