News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pipes louder on one side.

Started by 73chgrSE, March 12, 2008, 08:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chgrSE

When i stand behind my car ideling it's noticably louder from the driver side tail pipe. What could cause that? It also puts out more air pressure, you can tell holding your hand near it.

Charger-Bodie

Is youre exhust heat riser stuck shut?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

73chgrSE

I'm not familiar with that part. Where do i need to look?

Ghoste

At the end of the passenger side exhaust manifold, it's a little flapper valve right at the flange.  It's also possible that one muffler is more rotted than the other inside.

charger2fast4u

i would think that sounds like one muffler is more blown out then the other it's a possibility.

73chgrSE

I'm running straight pipes, no mufflers now. So I'll check that flapper valve today, maybe that's what it is. How will I know if it's stuck shut?

Ghoste

You won't be able to move it.  They are frequently rusted in one position and you can check it by just grabbing the big flapper on the side and trying to turn it.

73chgrSE

It wasn't stuck. I guess what i was describing was normal operation. At idle one side is louder but the valve opens when you hit the gas and it sounds more equal on both sides.

Ghoste

Is it operating as normal, staying closed when cold and then opening fully as the engine warms up or does it freewheel like that at all temps?

73chgrSE

It opens when hot and closes when cold. The springs are all working properly. :cheers:

Ghoste