News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

removing dash in 68 charger help

Started by charger2fast4u, February 10, 2008, 02:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

i'm going to remove my dash in my 68 charger to clean it up alittle and get all the sand out from sandblasting the floor also to make it easier to put new wiring harness's in are there any tips tricks good information when it comes to doing this have never removed a dash before  any help would be great 

Shakey

Remove the windshield and take everything out of the dash.  It'll come out very easily after that.

charger2fast4u

i was hoping not to have to take out the windshield to remove it. when you said to take out everything do you mean the gauges radio ect piece by piece then take out the bare dash?

Shakey

Quote from: charger2fast4u on February 11, 2008, 07:16:46 AM
i was hoping not to have to take out the windshield to remove it. when you said to take out everything do you mean the gauges radio ect piece by piece then take out the bare dash?

If you don't take the windshield out you will not be able to get at the six bolts along the front of the dash.  Yes, I removed everything from mine but I don't think you have to, it just makes it lighter to lift out if your by yourself.

charger2fast4u

i guess the windshield will have to come out then damn. is it easy to take out what tools are needed? guess it's good now i can fix that damn leak while im at it.

Shakey

Quote from: charger2fast4u on February 11, 2008, 06:26:49 PM
i guess the windshield will have to come out then damn. is it easy to take out what tools are needed? guess it's good now i can fix that damn leak while im at it.

windshield - knife, muscle and patience.

OttawaCharger

It might be worth it to see if their is a mobile glass repair shop in your area.  I imagine that you could arrange a deal for them to remove the glass and then come back and reinstall it later.  Trust me -> cleaning all those little glass shards out of the dash is a pain in the butt!  :brickwall:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

john108

Is there such a thing as a windshield knife?  Can you just use a "Stanley" retractable blade type knife, or one of those knives where you can snap off the leading edge to expose a new sharp edge?  Do you just cut around the perimeter of the rubber and peel it off exposing the windshield?  Does it then just pop off (carefully)???
John

Winged 1

;)
Windshield knife is special and Stanley wont get you where you need to go. With the special knife it has a hook style that cuts the outer part and the hook goes in under neath cutting the back side all at the same time..
Cant be that much to have a glass gye come out and remove.
Best of luck,
Eric

charger2fast4u

yea the guy that i had install my front and rear windshields screwed me long story short said if any leaks happen he will come fix it for free called him and he set me up 3 times and now he won't answer his phone