News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help with an 8 3/4 question

Started by 71 Bee Man, December 21, 2007, 12:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 Bee Man

G'day guys,

just got a set of Green Bearings for the rear axles and I'm told that now I'm going from adjustable bearings to non-adjustable, there's some adjusting pin I have to remove in the diff center. I'm told it's easy but I don't suppose anyone has a diagram or picture of what I'm removing.

It's a 742 in a 71 Charger - 3.55 sure grip. Yukon center.

Advice ????? :shruggy:

Peter
Sydney, Australia.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

Nacho-RT74

maybe is what does call here THRUST BLOCK

If it's, then need to remove gear from carrier and, remove pin and shaft....

wait!! that's on open differential, dunno if in sure grip
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

It would be in a Sure Grip as well. 

Mick70RR

I fitted green bearings and didn't remove anything, the thrust block is still there where it's always been.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

Ghoste

It depends what casting you have too, the 489 won't have it.

Lifsgrt

Peter, I believe if your differential does not have the thrust block you should be able to see through the differential from one side of the axle to the other.  My '489 casting did have the thrust blocks.  When I changed from the cone-type diff to a clutch-type diff, I had to move the thrust block from the old diff to the rebuilt.  After removing the differential, I used a long, thin punch and a hammer to drive the thrust block pin from the center of the thrust block.  It's just an interference fit pin in the middle of the block.  Drive from one axle side of the diff to the other.  Your aftermarket diff may not have the thrust block.  Hope this helps.  Merry Christmas, Jerry  :2thumbs:
Best time 11.07@121

Ghoste

My bad I think.  I'm talking about the thrust spacers that go into the clutch type Sure Grips and you're talking the thrust block between the side gears.  Sorry 'bout that.

71 Bee Man

Quote from: Lifsgrt on December 23, 2007, 09:11:12 PM
Peter, I believe if your differential does not have the thrust block you should be able to see through the differential from one side of the axle to the other.  My '489 casting did have the thrust blocks.  When I changed from the cone-type diff to a clutch-type diff, I had to move the thrust block from the old diff to the rebuilt.  After removing the differential, I used a long, thin punch and a hammer to drive the thrust block pin from the center of the thrust block.  It's just an interference fit pin in the middle of the block.  Drive from one axle side of the diff to the other.  Your aftermarket diff may not have the thrust block.  Hope this helps.  Merry Christmas, Jerry  :2thumbs:

G'day guys,

I finally got around to doing the Green Bearings and have only just removed my diff center to try and take out this darned adustment pin/block.

When I look from one side to the other, there IS a pin right in the middle. What happens when you push that pin out ? Does the whole block then come out or what ? I would assume more needs to be removed than just the pin. Is that right ?

Peter
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :

charger50071

Why would you use the new style "green bearings"? The factory set up is much stronger.
1971 Charger 500 383
1971 Charger RT 440-6
1965 Coronet 500 426 wedge
1960 Phoenix D-500 convertable crossram

RD

Quote from: charger50071 on January 14, 2008, 05:32:47 PM
Why would you use the new style "green bearings"? The factory set up is much stronger.

convenience, no need for thrust spacers.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

71 Bee Man

Quote from: RD on January 14, 2008, 05:35:20 PM
Quote from: charger50071 on January 14, 2008, 05:32:47 PM

convenience, no need for thrust spacers.

You're right - it was convenience. I also looked a fair bit on the net about opinions concerning the Green Bearings and opinions were pretty mixed, i must admit. Some loved 'em,. some hated 'em. Because I'm in Australia there's not too many people here to consult.

So.....does anyone know how to get this little bloody pin out of the diff center.? I'm out there trying to punch the bugger out, but it's a real pain.

Peter

andy74

i have the new green bearings in my 8 3/4,and i havent had any issue with them at all,and i dont baby it! :angelwing:

John_Kunkel

Look on the top left of the page in the link below, the two thrust buttons are held together by a roll pin; just use a small punch to drive it out.

http://gearsandrears.com/Clutchkits.html

The problem with leaving the thrust buttons/block in place is you'll never know it the axle bearings are under constant side load until they fail.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Runner

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 15, 2008, 05:00:10 PM

Look on the top left of the page in the link below, the two thrust buttons are held together by a roll pin; just use a small punch to drive it out.

The problem with leaving the thrust buttons/block in place is you'll never know it the axle bearings are under constant side load until they fail.

hmmm i wonder if thats why some people have problems with them?   

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Runner

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 15, 2008, 05:00:10 PM

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

charger50071

I know a lot of mopar people are switching to the Green axle bearings, but I respectfully disagree in using them. If you are using them in a drag race 1/4 mile car fine but for a real driver something you plan on driving they won't last but 10-20,000 miles. These bearings can not handle the side load like the factory roller bearings can. Why would our beloved mopar engineers use these bearings if they weren't reliable.[ie.. 100,000+++ miles] Good luck.
1971 Charger 500 383
1971 Charger RT 440-6
1965 Coronet 500 426 wedge
1960 Phoenix D-500 convertable crossram

Steve P.

They have been using them in medium and heavy duty trucks for years...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Lifsgrt

To remove the pin that holds the thrust blocks together, just get a pin punch that looks to be slightly smaller that the pin, watch your fingers, and give the pin punch a few raps with a hammer.  I used this technique and drove the pin out the other side.  You'll then be able to take each half of the thrust block out from either side of the diff.  :2thumbs: There you go, problem solved. G'day!
Best time 11.07@121