News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

car won't start after 15 minute trip

Started by AmadeusCharger500, January 15, 2008, 01:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

I just had this 318 rebuilt. Broke in and all. Car starts like a charm all the time. Until now that I have taken it on 2 moderate trips. I shut it off both times and left it for about 30 minutes. Come back and the darn thing won't fire. It turns but doesn't fire.
This last time I had a set of alligator clips with me. I got it to start by jumping from the battery to the coil.
Bring it home and try to re-enact the problem and just don't you know it starts every time.

The only thing I can think is something is heating up after these longer trips, and causing the voltage going to the coil to weaken?

Should I replace the ballast? Is there some more testing I can do?

firefighter3931

Heath, have a close look at the bulkhead connecter on the firewall....sounds like a loose (or poor) connection based on the intermittent symptoms.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1BAD68

I had that problem after I installed a Pertronix Ignitor, turned out that I had a loose ground (distributor) that would do the same thing.

1969chargerrtse

I had that happen with my 396 Camaro.  Ended being a bad condenser, I went to put in new points and the wire for the condenser just pulled out. 
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

BRS

If your sure it's an electrical problem (no spark) check your engine and chassis grounds.

hutch

I had that issue and it was because of all the gunk in my carb that I never knew about. I took it apart and it was fileld with varnish from sitting so long from the last guy who owned it.  Once I cleaned it out I never had that issue again.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"