News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rocker question

Started by chargerman68, January 08, 2008, 07:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerman68

are the rockers supposed to move alittle sounds like rattling...if not

how to adjust to tighten them.

some are tight some are not??
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

mally69

Are you using the factory rockers.. Of course some will be tight, becuase the valves are open. How loose are they ??

chargerman68

there sounds like a rattle...factory setup

mally69

The factory rocker have no adjustment, make sure your rocker hold downs are tight. You might also want to make sure that your rocker bars are turned the correct way so that they are getting oil.. and that the spacers are set correctly between the rockers and the clamps . These are just some thing's to look for  that came off the top of my head, hopefully other's can chime in..

mally69

Oh and they are supposed to move slighly when the valve is closed.

chargerman68

would the top and around the rocker be covered in oil or just the lower components?

mally69

Yep the oil comes out the shaft which runs down the inside of the rocker itself then around to where it meets the top of the valve. If by chance that is dry, that is probaly where your noise is coming from,  your rocker bars need to be turned so the holes drain the oil out in to the top of the rocker . Basically the holes should point towards the exhuast ports.

chargerman68

ok will take a pic and post thanks

chargerman68

mally69

I can't see any holes from the pics, but it looks really dry. What you could do is leave the valve cover's off and start the engine up and see where the oil is flowing, there should be oil coming out of the shaft onto the rocker. I have done this before, the oil won't splash around as long as its not being reven high..If your arent sure you have oil pressuer do not do this  use a priming tool first..

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: mally69 on January 08, 2008, 10:39:40 PM
Yep the oil comes out the shaft which runs down the inside of the rocker itself then around to where it meets the top of the valve.

Dunno if year related, but my pushrods are solid. Oil to rockers comes from 1st, 3rd and 5th ( outers and center ) rocker bolts boles on head. If you remove rocker shaft, will notice the bolt holes are wider to let it run the ol coming from pump and ducts.

Or it is from the 2nd and 4th bolts ?... bah I can't rmemeber right now LOL, but that is a fact ;D

Editing: yeah, I think is more the 2nd and 4th bolt holes.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

mally69

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 09, 2008, 02:35:53 PM
Quote from: mally69 on January 08, 2008, 10:39:40 PM
Yep the oil comes out the shaft which runs down the inside of the rocker itself then around to where it meets the top of the valve.

Dunno if year related, but my pushrods are solid. Oil to rockers comes from 1st, 3rd and 5th ( outers and center ) rocker bolts boles on head. If you remove rocker shaft, will notice the bolt holes are wider to let it run the ol coming from pump and ducts.

Or it is from the 2nd and 4th bolts ?... bah I can't rmemeber right now LOL, but that is a fact ;D

Editing: yeah, I think is more the 2nd and 4th bolt holes.

Yea if it is stock then yes the pushrods are solid, What i am saying is after the oil is in the shaft it runs out of the oil holes onto the rockers, thats why you have to have the holes facing toward the exhuast manifold, if not then the oil just builds up in there and doesnt go where it needs to when it needs to.

firefighter3931

Quote from: mally69 on January 09, 2008, 03:50:12 PM

Yea if it is stock then yes the pushrods are solid, What i am saying is after the oil is in the shaft it runs out of the oil holes onto the rockers, thats why you have to have the holes facing toward the exhuast manifold, if not then the oil just builds up in there and doesnt go where it needs to when it needs to.

Exactly ! The oil holes need to face the exhaust side of the head so that oil will be supplied to the valve tips/rocker arms. If the oil holes are facing the wrong way the oil will not be directed where it needs to go.

Chargerman, the oil holes are facing down in your pics but make sure they're aimed in the right direction.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

chargerman68

thanks

tried to prime engine nothing?????

supserdave

Dumb question, did it have oil pressure?

chargerman68

no sending unit yet waiting for napa to get one in

Nacho-RT74

sorry, crossed therms: shaft and pushrods...
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html