News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

? for the army guys

Started by Todd Wilson, January 08, 2008, 11:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

Observe this ebay item......

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Special-Operations-BDU-Shirt-w-IFF-Tabs-LR_W0QQitemZ300123595209QQihZ020QQcategoryZ104023QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

What are the infrared reflective IFF tabs on the shirt shoulders for? I would assume some for of range finding or locating? See the good guys in the dark stuff? Someone explain?

Todd

doctorpimp

IFF: Identification Friend or Foe.
These are reflective tabs that only reflect infared light - the naked eye cannot see it.  Night vision goggles etc will pick up the reflection.

It's used to prevent fratercide (friendly fire incidents)
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

Todd Wilson

OK thanks for the info. I was wondering if it was something like that. Is it a certain freq. of IR so the enemy cant see? Its for Special Ops so they are just used for special missions?

Todd

AKcharger

Only problem is Bad guys have NVG's as well

doctorpimp

Quote from: AKcharger on January 09, 2008, 01:16:24 AM
Only problem is Bad guys have NVG's as well
Yep, but that's why I always wore mine on the top of my helmet and on my back...  We have those and IR (InfraRed) glowsticks and a flashing IR beacon light.
Still didn't stop the A-10 from attacking my buddy's platoon last summer in Afghanistan.
They work for blue on blue attacks on the ground - but don't stop attacks from armoured vehicles with thermal imaging or planes.  Mistakes can still be made :(
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216