News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 chargerRT infor needed

Started by snooter, December 30, 2007, 05:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snooter

as some of you guys are aware i am looking for a chargerRT...well no luck until today..i located a 1970 chargerRT in decent shape that is loaded..correct XS vin#..air conditioning and the works..the good news is the charger is very close to my residence...the bad news it has column shift....no i am no expert..but can someone tell me if 70 charger RT's had column shift..dumb question for you experts i know...but like i said i am no expert...thaks for the help guys..snooter

C_stripes

We had a gomago 440 R/t that was a column shift auto.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

rt green

my 69 rt was a colum shift. changed it to a 4 speed though.
third string oil changer

472 R/T SE

Nothing unusual about that.  It very well doesn't have a tach either.
More info. here:  http://1970chargerregistry.com/Production/RT_Codes.html

snooter

thanks for the help guys..i am going to go over the car and make my decision then..i just am real hesitant to by a column shift...again thanks for the help....an im sure i am going to have a ton of dumb questions until i get me a ride

snooter

may be i should restomod this charger?..is it a big hassel to convert from column shift to floor shift?.....ill post more info on the car when i personally see and inspect and then ask for all of your opinions....according to the seller...body is rust free..hasent been on the road in 26 years with mileage in the 70K range

charger_mike75

You shouldn't base your decision to buy  the car or not based on a column shift, you can get different parts to make it how you want it. It is not real hard at all to change the column. if the body is rust free you've won half the battle.

WingedDodge

Hey  snooter, I have a non numbers matching 70 R/T. It's now a 496 6pk 4speed car, 90% finished. Not cheap.

Alaskan_TA

I love column shift cars. Especially if they have a bench seat.  :yesnod:

Even bucket seat cars with no console look super clean with no clunky console in between.

Just my honest opinion, but I better duck and run now.....  ;)

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on December 31, 2007, 12:49:32 AM
Even bucket seat cars with no console look super clean with no clunky console in between.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: My '69 has buckets with a buddy seat and a column shift :icon_smile_big:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

snooter

no need to duck and seek cover..i love all muscle car rides and wont knock anybody's ride...my fight is with the trailer queens and the owners who will not drive the vehicles...m not sure how much longer this hobby can go with current situation...ill keep youall updated

six-tee-nine

Quote from: charger_mike75 on December 30, 2007, 07:55:48 PM
You shouldn't base your decision to buy  the car or not based on a column shift, you can get different parts to make it how you want it. It is not real hard at all to change the column. if the body is rust free you've won half the battle.

:iagree: :iagree:

I prefer a hard body over everything else. You can change from column to console or even from auto to manual it's possible. Check for missing goodies like chrome trim seat belts, radio and off course a complete grill is worth everey penny these days...

Good hunt :2thumbs:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

1969chargerrtse

Don't know the price, but sounds great,real great .  Don't worry about column shift, just change it over, not cheap when including seats and console, but do able.  Hard car to find with little rust, sitting for years, grab it. :yesnod:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

snooter

i will be inspecting the car in a few days.....charger is loaded with options an owner stated numbers matching engine and tranny (thats good yes??).....i am going to restomod this charger if it is what i want...so i guess colum shift dosent matter...i will post the info some time late thursday and get you guys opinion....

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: snooter on January 01, 2008, 03:13:18 PM
i will be inspecting the car in a few days.....charger is loaded with options an owner stated numbers matching engine and tranny (thats good yes??).....i am going to restomod this charger if it is what i want...so i guess colum shift dosent matter...i will post the info some time late thursday and get you guys opinion....
No, not good, great!   Make sure if you're not going to use the motor and trani you never part with it, It's a very rare and valuable part of the car, few, including mine have the original motor and trani from 40 years ago.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

tomdroptop

Yep 70 R/T's did come with column shift avail & as mentioned above get it & switch it over & if ya ever feel the need to you can switch it back!

snooter

ok guys school me on what i should look for like the harder to find parts..as an example trim pieces?...front grill parts...chrome pieces...etc...i will be viewing the car tomorrow afternoon and any idea on what to really search for would be appreciated...thanks..snooter

70plumrt

Quote from: snooter on January 02, 2008, 02:55:41 PM
ok guys school me on what i should look for like the harder to find parts..as an example trim pieces?...front grill parts...chrome pieces...etc...i will be viewing the car tomorrow afternoon and any idea on what to really search for would be appreciated...thanks..snooter

Just make sure it's a true R/T with vin tag starting with XS29U0
A fender tag on the driver side inner fender is always a big help...as well as a build sheet usually noticable in the rear seat back.
I've seen many that the seller said were solid until you get there! Squeeze frame rails and cross-member to see how soft it is.
Look for rust holes at rear window corners usually beginning under the trim...

Sure the grille and fenders are expensive but this is no stang you're slapping together!
The tail trim panals are hard to find mint and check if the front valance is good!

Good Luck!

Get pics... :lol:

Hey, when did I become a NEW member???

2Gunz

Go buy the damn thing before somebody else does.

If its not a rust bucket its perfect.

snooter

ok as stated earlier i did look at the 1970 charger RT today...fender tag survives (surprise to me) with the following codes..e86, d32, xs29,uog,dy3,c6xa,tx9,a13,v1x,ao4,b51,c55,g33,h51,j25,m21,m31,n85,r11,v6x,26,end.....frame rails and torque boxes look very decent...body panels will need work..hood ok (turn signals in hood)..can be fixed..grille excellent...all pieces in place..trunk floor rotted...area around battery tray rotted as well..motor needs rebuilt.NO DISC BRAKES.#S MATCHING TRANNY TO MOTOR...original carb sitting in rear seat...bucket seats perfect..rear seat perfect...has clock..no tach..original radio...glass perfect still has mopar markings and stickers...floor looks good i even peeled carpet back and there was beautiful unmolested cream paint...vinyl roof gone...has woodgrain dash (weird) and standard steering wheel...still has 4 mopar mag rims..2 on car and other 2 in trunk..of course is column shift with no buddy seat (another surprise)...i dunno guys..probably could make money parting it out..im not sure repairing and trying to sell in this market right now is a good thing...if i can basically steal it i am..otherwise i am going to buy a driver..this car is not a driver..but with it being complete it may have value as good parts car..guy even offered to throw in another complete 440 motor to seal the deal..whats this damn thing worth..i could probably get for 5grand

Ghoste

I hate to see a restorable RT (or any Charger) parted out.  If you do get it, consider flipping it whole before cutting it up.