News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

great article on New 5.7/6.1 hemi to 727 mating

Started by RD, December 18, 2007, 12:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Rocky

"The solution was simple though. We had Advance Adapters transmission experts build a nonlockup, neutral-balance torque converter with the late-model, 90-degree, symmetrical bolt pattern and a fairly low 1,800-rpm stall. This torque converter bolts right up to the flexplate that comes on the Hemi. We forgot to tell the shop that we had a ring gear on the flexplate, so it sent a torque converter with the ring gear welded to it like the older Mopar ones were. No problem, the tooth count is the same as the existing flexplate, so we bolted it on anyway. Even though having the two ring gears isn't hurting anything, we suggest getting a converter built sans ring gear if you do this swap. To complete the package, we installed a Mopar factory starter used on a late 360 Magnum motor."

No need to read the whole article, just call Advance Adapters or any place that can build a torque converter and tell them what you need.  Thanks for the link RD, it's nice when somebody else goes through all the headaches of mating something old to something new and is nice enough to tell others exactly what to do. 

I can't help but think that someone like B&M will just make a conversion flexplate to make the process even easier.  Has anyone given them a call yet?

John_Kunkel

It'd be a lot easier to just redrill the flexplate for a non-symmetric bolt pattern and use an off-the-shelf AMC 727 converter with no ring gear.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RD

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 18, 2007, 06:55:42 PM

It'd be a lot easier to just redrill the flexplate for a non-symmetric bolt pattern and use an off-the-shelf AMC 727 converter with no ring gear.

john, just so I am sure I know what you are talking about, you are saying drill the non-symmetric bolt pattern onto the stock hemi flexplate?  if so, makes perfect sense, wonder why they didnt think of it?  maybe they had a sponsor to plug or something.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander