News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Street/strip guys...what tires do you run?

Started by Hemidoug, December 22, 2007, 03:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidoug

So what do you guys run tire wise? Do you run DOT slicks or do you keep your street tires and change over to race tires on race day? Aside for the added cost is there any benefit to have 2 sets of tires/rims, one for the street and one for the strip? Are the DOT slicks truly "streetable" (ie durable and SAFE in the rain)? How about rims, is it better to have a set of street rims and a separate set of race rims?
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

471_Magnum

As I cautioned in your other thread about "hook", with a stick car, you need to be careful about how much hook you really want to achieve. Something has to slip somewhere since you don't have a torque converter. Either the tires or the clutch has to slip, else sumthins gonna break. Just bare that in mind as you look for more traction. In my opinion, the key isn't to eliminate tire spin with a stick, but manage it.

As you look for a DOT slick or drag radial, compare Uniform Tire Quality Grade Standards (UTQG) and speed rating. You'll quickly realize these tires are all compromises. In my opinion, there is only one drag radial I'd feel safe having on my car for extended highway use, and that is the Nitto 555R. It has a good load range, temperature rating, reasonable treadwear, and "V" or "Z" speed rating. At the same time, it probably offers the least hook at the track.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Hemidoug

Thanks 471...I'll keep that all in mind during my chassis build up. Ron finally convinced me to tie the frames and I intend to do just that. I will be upgrading everything from U joints and yoke as well as the before mentioned chassis mods. I'm running a Centerforce street/strip clutch and intend on taking it easy (slipping the clutch) coming out of the hole....I intend to cover all the bases with the chassis mods.... :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Doug, i will be using the MT drag radials for the track and BFG drag radials for the street. A 295/65/15 will just barely fit....but it does clear the wheel well.  :yesnod:

You saw the pix of Tom's Roadrunner....the car hooks awesome, even on the spray.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Hemidoug

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 23, 2007, 08:12:23 AM
Doug, i will be using the MT drag radials for the track and BFG drag radials for the street. A 295/65/15 will just barely fit....but it does clear the wheel well.  :yesnod:

You saw the pix of Tom's Roadrunner....the car hooks awesome, even on the spray.  :2thumbs:

Ron

The one thing I don't get is why run 2 different sets of drag radails, 1 for the street and 1 for the strip? If you are going to have 2 sets of tires why not go with a slick for the track?  :scratchchin:

471_Magnum

Quote from: Hemidoug on December 23, 2007, 09:33:56 AM
The one thing I don't get is why run 2 different sets of drag radails, 1 for the street and 1 for the strip? If you are going to have 2 sets of tires why not go with a slick for the track?  :scratchchin:

Logistics man.

You going to drive to the track? If so, how far? Not far on a set of slicks. Where you gonna put that second set of tires? They sure won't fit in the trunk of a Charger.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Hemidoug

Quote from: 471_Magnum on December 23, 2007, 10:46:49 AM

Logistics man.

You going to drive to the track? If so, how far? Not far on a set of slicks. Where you gonna put that second set of tires? They sure won't fit in the trunk of a Charger.

Yea, I didn't think about that. I've gotten so use to having a trailer and a truck for those times that I don't drive the car. Guess I'm spoiled... :coolgleamA: :rofl:

Ghoste

We already knew that when you started posting about having a 69 Hemi Charger and a 71 Six Pack Charger. :D

(yeah, I'm jealous)

Hemidoug

Quote from: Ghoste on December 23, 2007, 11:42:37 AM
We already knew that when you started posting about having a 69 Hemi Charger and a 71 Six Pack Charger. :D

(yeah, I'm jealous)

yea....but how many Hemi car owners actually DRIVE their cars? At least I'm a down to Earth kind of spoiled  :nana: :D!  (I also have a lot of blood, sweat and tears in all my vehicles). You should see what I started with on both. I've owned the 71 since 1980 and the 69 since 1990....

Ghoste

Trust me, I never thought of you as a silver spoon trailer queen owning kind of guy Doug and that just impresses me all the more.  :2thumbs:

Hemidoug

Quote from: Ghoste on December 23, 2007, 11:53:32 AM
Trust me, I never thought of you as a silver spoon trailer queen owning kind of guy Doug and that just impresses me all the more.  :2thumbs:

I know..... I love you too man...( like a brother of course) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 23, 2007, 08:12:23 AM

Ron

Doug, the BFG DR's actually hook pretty good on the street and they have a harder compound than the MT DR's so they will last much longer...on the street that is. The BFG's are so-so on the track...

The MT Dr's are ok on the street, awesome at the track.... but will wear out very fast in the asphalt jungle. :P The Street Radial design has a stiff sidewall which is better for a heavy street/strip car. Most slicks have a soft sidewall but then again most racecars are in the 3000-3400lb weight range. Heavier cars need stiffer sidewalls....that is a given.  :yesnod:

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Hemidoug

Thanks....I knew there had to be a reason. I think I'm going to run 2 different sets of tires...one for the street and one for the track. I've got to buy tires for her this year anyway so I figure what the hell....I'll give the BFG drag radials a shot on the street. They have to work better then the T/A s I have on her now....Now I just have to figure out the combo for the track. Like 471 stated I need to figure in some give somewhere so a tire with a little "give" on the track shouldn't be a bad thing.....I figure that the drag radials will be a little more forgiving then a straight slick. Thanks for your help AGAIN! (you're giving away all your tricks) :rofl:

firefighter3931

Quote from: Hemidoug on December 23, 2007, 12:42:59 PM
Thanks for your help AGAIN! (you're giving away all your tricks) :rofl:

You're welcome Doug....but i won't give away everything !  ;) I still have a few tricks  :D

Bottom line ; i want to see you get down the track safely and have you keep the car away from the wall....that is priority #1 in my mind. :2thumbs:

All the fun & games smacktalk is secondary....safety first !  :cheers:

Ron