News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Did Dodge make a Charger Super Bee?

Started by MyMopar, December 10, 2007, 09:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d72hemi

Quote from: 1972Rallye on December 11, 2007, 01:58:35 PM
Quote from: MyMopar on December 11, 2007, 11:00:33 AM
Thanks for the info.  I am going to have to say that reading the different takes, the Charger could have been a Charger Super Bee for 1971.  I guess if they didn't include the Charger script on the Super Bee model you could say it was different. 

Everything 69CoronetRT stated is accurate (as usual... he knows his Mopars)!

Call it "Charger Super Bee" just like the prior 3 years were "Coronet Super Bees".  They all had their own seperate model designation in the VIN (WM), therefore NOT technically an option.  You couldn't order a Super Bee option on a base Charger... you ordered a Charger Super Bee... then optioned from there.

FYI...There were 6 Charger models in 1971.

WL21 - Charger Coupe
WH23 - Charger Hardtop
WM23 - Charger Super Bee
WP23 - Charger 500
WP29 - Charger SE
WS23 - Charger R/T

Pic is from Hamtramck Historical link posted by 69CoronetRT

A little off topic, but what is difference between a hard top (WL23)  and a coupe (WL21)  anyway?

Ian

WheresMyCharger

Ian, it has something to do with the side rear windows, The hardtop windows roll down, not sure on the coupe.
Have you seen my old '69 Charger??
       *XP29H9B324356*

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: d72hemi on December 12, 2007, 09:16:26 PM
Thanks for the info.  I am going to have to say that reading the different takes, the Charger could have been a Charger Super Bee for 1971.  I guess if they didn't include the Charger script on the Super Bee model you could say it was different. 

Call it "Charger Super Bee" just like the prior 3 years were "Coronet Super Bees".  They all had their own seperate model designation in the VIN (WM), therefore NOT technically an option.  You couldn't order a Super Bee option on a base Charger... you ordered a Charger Super Bee... then optioned from there.

WL21 - Charger Coupe
WH23 - Charger Hardtop
WM23 - Charger Super Bee
WP23 - Charger 500
WP29 - Charger SE
WS23 - Charger R/T

A little off topic, but what is difference between a hard top (WL23)  and a coupe (WL21)  anyway?

Ian

WL21 and WH23... WL23 does not exist.

WL21, fixed quarter windows attached with a bracket, no woodgrain inserts ( on standart cluster, passenger side dash insert, adn door panels ) mostly were front 50/50% split bench with vinyl.

WH23 roll down quarter window, Woodgrained finish everywhere, and if bench, I think cloth insert instead vinyl.

Not sure about bench setup thought
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

69CoronetRT

Quote from: d72hemi on December 12, 2007, 09:16:26 PM

WL21 - Charger Coupe
WH23 - Charger Hardtop
WM23 - Charger Super Bee
WP23 - Charger 500
WP29 - Charger SE
WS23 - Charger R/T

Ian

Ian, if you look at the picture 72Rallye posted you can see the coupe (21) at the bottom. See the line that runs vertical right behind the door to the roof? That's the front support for the rear window. Compare it to the hardtop (23) picture right above it. See how the HT doesn't have that line? On the HT, the rear window rolled down.

The 71 Dodge Color and Trim book is also posted on the Hamtramck site. You can compare what interiors were available for each model.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1971ColorAndTrim-01.shtml
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

TUFCAT

Quote from: greatwn73 on December 11, 2007, 06:24:56 PM

There was also a 71 2 door Coronet in Charger sheetmetal but as I remember they were \6 with bench seat and rubber floormat (no carpet) only. I've seen pics but never one in person.

I disagree.  However, greatwn73 is from Canada, so it's possible that an el cheapo model could've been made for Canada only ... and called a "Coronet".  The models and designations were not always the same for the Canadian market.

bull

TUFCAT

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

bull

ACUDANUT

Great, now we have four door Super Bee's and they are still "Chargers" with more decals.

Ghoste

Quote from: TUFCAT on December 13, 2007, 03:34:39 PM
Quote from: greatwn73 on December 11, 2007, 06:24:56 PM

There was also a 71 2 door Coronet in Charger sheetmetal but as I remember they were \6 with bench seat and rubber floormat (no carpet) only. I've seen pics but never one in person.

I disagree.  However, greatwn73 is from Canada, so it's possible that an el cheapo model could've been made for Canada only ... and called a "Coronet".  The models and designations were not always the same for the Canadian market.

As a lifelong Canuck, let me just say I have yet to see such a thing.  If such a vehicle exists, and I am not saying it doesn't, I will stick my neck out and say that it was NOT some special Canada only model.

General_01

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

T3/RT

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi Conv.
2005 Chrysler 300C
2010 Dodge Challenger SRT