News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ok, so I was bored...

Started by Troy, July 19, 2009, 11:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

I had a stack of movies on my coffee table that my sister sent over. Somehow I managed to watch Bulletproof Monk. As I sometimes do, I also watched the special features. I came across this quote about choosing a location which I thought was funny and I'm sharing with you... :D

"In the end, we chose Toronto because it had more of a U.S. urban feel."

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dans 68

Bored? How can this be?   :o  :rofl:  Canada is the cheaper location, I guess, in which to film. Just don't trying to make too much sense out the film industry.  :P

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Mike DC

Toronto has been Hollywood's cheaper New York substitute for decades. 

Canada offers currency & tax advantanges as opposed to the US itself so tons of movies shoot there.  And when people hear "Canada" they think of very northern cold places, but Toronto is in the great lakes dipped down portion of the country.  The city's raw lattitude is no higher than lots of eastern American cities.   

dodgecharger-fan

and our southern most point is at a lower latitude than the California-Oregon border.

Hmm. I just found this too:
http://geography.about.com/library/faq/blqzcanadabelowus.htm

"How many states have some land north of Canada's southernmost point?

Twenty-seven of the fifty U.S. states have land north of Canada's southernmost point - Middle Island, Ontario.

The states include Alaska, California, Connecticut, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New York, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming."

Troy

Ok, so any way... I thought it was funny. Perhaps they wanted the "U.S. urban feel" without getting shot or mugged?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

Great. I've read this thread and now I'm bored.

Dodge Don

Quote from: Troy on July 20, 2009, 08:17:49 PM
Ok, so any way... I thought it was funny. Perhaps they wanted the "U.S. urban feel" without getting shot or mugged?

Troy

They come for the Timmies. Don't worry guys, Tim Hortons has stormed the border and already has over 500 locations in NE US.....kicking Starchucks and Dunkin Crap in the gnads  :nutkick:

dodgecharger-fan

and heading in to NYC, I hear. Watch out!

Magnumcharger

Geez...if Toronto has a "US" feel to it, then you must have a ton of east indians and pakistanis in the US. :icon_smile_big:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

hemi-hampton

Don't forget they also do a lot of filmimg in Vancouver, British Columbia for same reasons. LEON. :scratchchin:

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Ghoste

And if you think coming to Toronto means you won't be shot or mugged you are pretty much setting yourself up to get shot or mugged in Toronto.

SeattleCharger

According to Micheal Moore in Bowling for Columbine, nobody gets shot in Canada.  What is up with that? 

Ghoste

Yeah, it's kind of too bad that even as a fictional "documentarian" that Moore wouldn't base some of his entertainment films on reality or facts but I guess that doesn't sell.
I'm not implying that it's open gang warfare in the streets but it isn't all smiling people holding their cups of Tim Hortons coffee while politely watching the flowers grow either.  It's a large city and just like any large city violent crime does exist.  There are stricter gun laws up here and it is difficult for a legitimate gun hobbyist to obtain and use firearms.  Unfortunately the drug runners don't feel any need to go through legal means for their sidearms.  I'm more frightened to go to Scarborough at night than Detroit but then I have a better idea of where I should and should not be in Detroit.

dodgecharger-fan

True. That said, a shooting - or killing of any kind - is headline news here. Everyone of them. Even the suspected gang related ones.

Khyron

Quote from: bull on July 20, 2009, 08:38:12 PM
Great. I've read this thread and now I'm bored.

I actually LOLed at this.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Shakey

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on July 21, 2009, 09:38:16 AM
True. That said, a shooting - or killing of any kind - is headline news here. Everyone of them. Even the suspected gang related ones.

QuoteEven the suspected gang related ones.

Which is 99.99% of the gun related murders in Toronto.  Even the others that don't involve firearms are 99.99% gang related.

It's very rare, not saying it doesn't happen, that you read about someone being mugged/murdered for their wallet, car or for no reason whatsoever.

Some of the murders that stick out in my mind are usually the ones that happen on a Friday or Saturday night that usually revolve around some house party that involved alcohol, drugs, univited guests and weapons whether it be a knife or a gun.

dodgecharger-fan

Exactly. And the news lately is saying that crime rate across the country has gone down compared ot the same period of time last year.
Except for P.E.I. They must have had two crimes this year. :D

Magnumcharger

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on July 22, 2009, 06:52:45 AM
Exactly. And the news lately is saying that crime rate across the country has gone down compared ot the same period of time last year.
Except for P.E.I. They must have had two crimes this year. :D

And it usually involves theft of potatoes.

Dodge Don

Quote from: Shakey on July 22, 2009, 06:18:20 AM
Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on July 21, 2009, 09:38:16 AM

QuoteEven the suspected gang related ones.

Which is 99.99% of the gun related murders in Toronto.  Even the others that don't involve firearms are 99.99% gang related.

It's very rare, not saying it doesn't happen, that you read about someone being mugged/murdered for their wallet, car or for no reason whatsoever.

Some of the murders that stick out in my mind are usually the ones that happen on a Friday or Saturday night that usually revolve around some house party that involved alcohol, drugs, univited guests and weapons whether it be a knife or a gun.

Completely agree. In sheer numbers Canada as an entire country has less violent crime than one major US city. The Toronto and Vancouver shootings drive alot of this but as noted it is gang on gang violence. It is extremely rare that regular ciitizens are ever involved...not zero but very rare.

SeattleCharger

and Candada supposedly has more guns per person than US,  yet one U.S. city has more shooting deaths than your whole country, wow

Ghoste

More long guns for hunting maybe but far fewer handguns and assault rifles.

Magnumcharger

I've got several rifles, and my dumb brother in law has at least twenty.
And as far as I know, neither one of us has committed any crimes with them.

If you don't count hunting out of season, at night, etc.

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.